bite turbos and deep bite

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

chrisd

bite turbos and deep bite

#1 Post by chrisd »

i just started my treatment and am wearing bite turbos behind my upper central incisors to prevent me from knocking off my lower brackets because of a deep bite.

my question is, do bite turbos have any other purpose than to prevent me from knocking the lower brackets ff or do they in some way facilitate correction of a deep bite?

what ways are there to correct a deep bite? or am i likely to be wearing these until the end of my treatment?

thanks in advance.
chris
ps i have lots of pics in my webshots gallery below
http://community.webshots.com/user/cruelcanbekind
3m clarity on top changed to supertorque metal
3m victory metals bottom
estimated treatment time 16-20 months

brandee987

#2 Post by brandee987 »

Chris... Just curious... What are bite turbos?? I have a deep bite also and my ortho mentioned something like this.. I think he called it bite stops though.. i get them on March 7 when my bottom braces go on... Thanks in advance!
Ceramic Upper braces: November 29, 2005
Metal Lowers go on: March 7th, 2006

chrisd

#3 Post by chrisd »

hey brandee, bite turbos are small metal stops that are bonded to the backs of your top front teeth. they act to keep you from closing your mouth all the way (by a few millimeters) to prevent the top teeth from hitting on the lower brackets when one bites down. they keep you from knocking off the lower brackets and damaging your upper teeth. here is a pic Image

they take some getting used to. i am still getting used to them :( and can impact speech for a few days. they other alternative for some people is molar buildups. i am not sure if there is an advantage to one or the other. and would love to hear if anyone knows.

chris
3m victory metals bottom

HeadgearJoe

Re: bite turbos and deep bite

#4 Post by HeadgearJoe »

chrisd wrote:i just started my treatment and am wearing bite turbos behind my upper central incisors to prevent me from knocking off my lower brackets because of a deep bite.

my question is, do bite turbos have any other purpose than to prevent me from knocking the lower brackets ff or do they in some way facilitate correction of a deep bite?

what ways are there to correct a deep bite? or am i likely to be wearing these until the end of my treatment?

thanks in advance.
chris
ps i have lots of pics in my webshots gallery below
hi chrised, i have the kind of things my ortho called my levy's stop an mine are tooth color an will be a part of me the rest of my life , there kind of thick at fist an fell like there in the way but now i forget about them , i may as well , hgjoe
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

chrisd

#5 Post by chrisd »

you mean they are bonded to your front teeth and will stay forever. how does that impact your bite/chewing? do your molars touch?

i found this on an orthos website
[quote]Bite Turbos are bonded to the tongue side of the upper front teeth (incisors). They are a temporary addition to your treatment, and are used to correct excessive overbites. Wearing bite turbos can reduce the amount of time spent in braces by 4-6 months. This rapid increase in the speed of overbite correction is how the earned their name of “Bite Turboâ€
3m victory metals bottom

HeadgearJoe

#6 Post by HeadgearJoe »

[quote="chrisd"]you mean they are bonded to your front teeth and will stay forever. how does that impact your bite/chewing? do your molars touch?

i found this on an orthos website
[quote]Bite Turbos are bonded to the tongue side of the upper front teeth (incisors). They are a temporary addition to your treatment, and are used to correct excessive overbites. Wearing bite turbos can reduce the amount of time spent in braces by 4-6 months. This rapid increase in the speed of overbite correction is how the earned their name of “Bite Turboâ€
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

mackenzie

#7 Post by mackenzie »

I actually asked my ortho for turbos because I figured then the bottoms could go on sooner and the braces could come off sooner but she really didn't want to do it. I never got a good explanation why. The 4-6 months quicker makes sense because it took 4 months of top braces for my bite to open up enough to put the bottoms on.

Chris

#8 Post by Chris »

Same here, I had my tops on 4 months, getting them to flare out, then the bottoms went on. I barely hit my bottom brackets now. I never had to get use to the bite turbos, thankfully.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

chrisd

#9 Post by chrisd »

well i think you might be lucky not having them. this morning while cleaning i noticed some wear on my lower incisor where it contacts the turbo. that seems like a very bad thing after only two weeks with them :(

i am going to calll my ortho first thing in the morning. i really dont want to ruin my teeth.

chris
3m victory metals bottom

chrisd

#10 Post by chrisd »

well i think you might be lucky not having them. this morning while cleaning i noticed some wear on my lower incisor where it contacts the turbo. that seems like a very bad thing after only two weeks with them :(

i am going to calll my ortho first thing in the morning. i really dont want to ruin my teeth.

chris
3m victory metals bottom

chrisd

#11 Post by chrisd »

chris
3m victory metals bottom

hannah164

#12 Post by hannah164 »

This post is very interesting! I also have a deep bite and was supposed to have gotten bite turbos for my bite when I got bottom braces but they just never put any on! :?

I would really like to know how they correct a deep bite!

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Last Adjustment was 2/1/06 where they bonded a bracket to my cuspid, which was impacted!!!! OUCH!

dr.j

#13 Post by dr.j »

Bite turbos have the side benefit of allowing you to not bite on the lower braces but this is not their main goal. The reason they "turbo" or speed up treatment - if one can say this - is that with your bite open in the back, you now have unimpeded eruption of you lower posterior teeth. Normally, with no turbos and teeth in contact leveling of the natural vertical curvature of the lower arch (the Curve of Spee) is somewhat slow - esp. if you have a strong muscular pattern. The catch is you need to have a facial profile that can tolerate posterior eruption of the teeth - this causes a clockwise rotation of your lower jaw in profile - down and back so to speak. These are not good in folks with long faces. In an ideal world - and it's not ideal b/c I use them too - these would mainly be used on active growers who are getting compensatory growth of the back of the of lower jaw to offset the rotation of the lower jaw down and back - the net result being a leveling of the deep bite and no loss of chin projection due to rotation of the lower jaw.. I know that last statement is complex but that's orthodontics... :wink:
Dr.J - Ortho

Inert

#14 Post by Inert »

Hi Dr.J,

I had no idea that bite turbos did not merely serve the function of protecting lower brackets from upper teeth. I was given bite turbos behind my front teeth (though mine were cement build-ups, not metal), and after a weekend of misery, returned to have them removed because my top teeth were still hitting the lower brackets; plus my molars were not meeting, and I was under the apparently false impression that they should have been.

Long story short, I asked to have my molars built up, so I now have two small turbos back there (if indeed they still meet the definition of bite turbos), and the front bite turbos have been removed. My ortho didn't seem to mind having turbos added to my molars, but he did want to leave the upper turbos alone initially - he said to leave more surface to chew with. But I was adamant about taking them off. I hated not being able to speak, and only one of the four turbos actually met my lower teeth, so they were very uncomfortable when I tried to close my jaw, which couldn't settle and kept slipping around. He consented to having them ground off; and I thought his reticence to do so was just to save his assistant's time.

So my question is, have I unknowingly asked to have my treatment impaired in any way? My molars still don't totally meet, but I'm wondering if my new lower molar bite turbos are going to be less efficient for tooth movement than the old ones. They're a thousand times more comfortable, and I can't help but think that if they did the job as well as upper front turbos everyone would be given them.
Damon 3s top and bottom - 10/Feb/06

hannah164

#15 Post by hannah164 »

Dr. J,

If you didn't get bite turbos when you got bottom braces for your deep bite how is it going to be corrected? My upper teeth totally cover my lower brackets in the front! :? I was supposed to get bite turbos but my ortho never attached them! :?

Any information would be greatly appreciated! :)

~Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Last Adjustment was 2/1/06 where they bonded a bracket to my cuspid, which was impacted!!!! OUCH!