Levelling

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Angel100

Levelling

#1 Post by Angel100 »

Hi,

I’m in the space closure phase of treatment at the moment. Last time I was at my ortho I mentioned that my upper lateral incisors (the ones next to my front teeth) are different levels. My right one is about the same level as the front teeth but the left one is higher up.

My ortho said she could make them more symmetrical but mentioned that she would probably move the right one up, to make it slightly shorter than the length of the front teeth because it looked more natural. I think they look better at the same level though.

So I don’t know whether to get the right one moved up to match the left one as my ortho suggested, or to get the left one moved down so that my teeth are more of the same length and level.

Should teeth be the same level? Is levelling just a matter of preference and what you think looks better? Any advice appreciated!

Chris

#2 Post by Chris »

Thats a good question. I have a top molar that dropped over the years because of missing the bottom tooth, now the ortho is "dropping" the one next to it to "match" them I guess. But the other side of my mouth is normal (hence the top are a bit higher). I wish he could have raised the top tooth back up into the gum but I understand that is more difficult to do.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

cteri

#3 Post by cteri »

Hi Angel,

of course the patients opinion is primary when it comes to easthetics, but I think your doc is right - teeth next to the front ones should be (a bit) shorter, check out the link which describes 'the perfect bite':

http://www.drted.com/index.html.bak2/Th ... 20bite.htm

good luck!
CT

dr.j

#4 Post by dr.j »

It's open to personal preference of course but many orthodontists are taught that the lateral incisor should be .5-.75mm higher up than the centrals. But if you want your teeth flat in the front tell the doc and he'll oblige you I'm sure.
Dr.J - Ortho

Angel100

#5 Post by Angel100 »

Thanks very much for the info.

Thanks for the link, cteri. Very useful!

I think my left lateral incisor is maybe higher than .5-.75mm in relation to the centrals. My right one isn't exactly level with the centrals, but certainly lower than the left one. Maybe neither side is correct then!

I might try to post a pic to get opinions on which side looks better then!

Do you think the bracket will be re-positioned on the tooth or will a bend be put in the wire to fix this?