Elastics - Different strengths

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kirst1583

Elastics - Different strengths

#1 Post by kirst1583 »

Hi Docs (and everyone else),
At my last adjustment I got elastics again..
One goes from the upper right cuspid down to the lower right 2nd molar and upper left cuspid to lower left 2nd molar. (hope I got that right - I used my online tooth diagram!)
I have to wear 2 different strengths though. On the left it is 6oz and the right only 3.5 oz. Is this to correct the midline or for some other purpose?
Thanks heaps

weird_wired

#2 Post by weird_wired »

I have different strengths - I have one light band on my left side, and two heavy bands (different sizes) on my right side and right front side.

The simple explanation is that my right side is the side where the bite needs closing, the left is fine. I think the light elastic is there pretty much just for balance or something.

kirst1583

#3 Post by kirst1583 »

Hi weird_wired,
Thanks for the reply.
I still don't know the reason for my elastics. I can only assume they are to correct the midline. My bite is not open but I think I still have a bit of an overjet though.
My strong one is on the left and the weaker on the right (so opposite to you).. I'm just so curious as to why I have different strengths. Last time when I had elastics in this configuration they were both the strong (6oz ones).

Attagirl2

#4 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi Krist. I have elastics from my laterals (upper) to my lower first molars. The doctor said it was to pull my upper teeth back to help close the overjet and line up the uppers and lowers.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

kirst1583

#5 Post by kirst1583 »

Yeah I thought that might be the case. I'm assuming that's what mine are for also. The different strengths would be to pull things over to the left a bit though, which is why I think it's for the midline. Just a guess though!
Oh well, as long as it all turns out in the end that's all that matters. :thumbsup: