Molar Bands Poking Me

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

southernone

Molar Bands Poking Me

#1 Post by southernone »

Hi All. I recently had 4 additional molar bands placed on the rear teeth last Friday (all of my molars are in bands now). I know that there is always an adjustment period for your mouth but am concerned there is not enough room and that this might cause me to start grinding again (I am a TMJ patient and this is why I got the braces). My rear bands are poking me in the cheeks so badly that I cannot even rub my lips together without pain. I cannot get any wax to stay back there no matter what I do and have already tried the warm water mixed with salt. This is killing my cheeks! Is there a possibility there just is not enough room? Isn't this supposed to be better after six days?? My teeth do not hurt nearly as bad as my cheeks. :cry:

Brandyleigh35

#2 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Southern one....Have you heard of Braze Eze? IT is this awesome stuff that works amazingly well on hard to reach brackets and hooks. It is a smooth silicone like gel stuff that stays stuck until you remove it, even through food.

I ordered 5 tubes of it for my son and I and we use it all the time. We both have the self ligating brackets which tend to be a bit on the scratchy side. The Braze Eze is nice cause it is soothing to your cheek and lips, not sticky like wax. It is a bit spendy ($7.95 a tube) but it works! and they ship out very quickly. Another thing that you might like to try is the comfort covers that are sold on this site. I have hooks on my lower molars and they continually rub my cheeks raw. The comfort covers fit on over your braces and hooks (provided your brackets etc are mostly in a straight line.) I wear them to bed at night, but have worn them one day when my teeth were really rubbing and annoying my cheeks. You might want to check these two items out. The link to the the Braze Eze is under the Do dads section......and the comfort covers are on the archwired site.
If you do end up getting the comfort covers, here is a piece of advice. Run them under hot water to soften them up before you put them on. They go on so much easier when they are warm and pliable. Hope this helps!

I get molar bands as well as an expansion appliance added to my already braced and hook filled mouth this next Tuesday so I feel your pain. :cry: :cry:

Brandy

Geri

#3 Post by Geri »

Hi Southernon - I have two sets of molar bands top and bottom and TMJ too. They really didn't bother me too much after the first few days. Sure there must be enough room - it's just a case of adjusting. If you hang in there it will get easier! Warm salt water rinses may help ease any soreness, and if it continues to really bother you I would mention it to the ortho. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!