Do ceramics really stain?

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Greenidgurl

Do ceramics really stain?

#1 Post by Greenidgurl »

Hi there! :D

I'm about to have braces put on next week and I really would like to get ceramics on the top. During the consult the orthodontist said that he could do either one (no extra charge for the ceramics), but told me that ceramics will stain and look pretty bad. It disappointed and worried me to hear this. All of the sites I've gone to says they don't stain but that could just be marketing propaganda. I'm 30 years old, single and really would like to have the less noticeable ceramics, but if they are going to end up looking bad after a short time that would be horrible too! I need a professional, honest opinion. The orthodontist also told me that only 10 of his clients have the ceramics. I think he is talking them out of getting them.

chrisd

#2 Post by chrisd »

ok, ceramic braces do NOT stain. Not ever.

there are little elastic o rings that hold the wire in place. these can potentially stain if you eat certain foods or are a heavy cofe tea drinker.

i am at the 4 week mark with my clear ligs and they have stained just ever so slightly, but not enough to notice unless i am starin g in the mirror like 6 inches away. in other words not noticalbe.

another option is to go with a smoke colored lig. that would be just a bit more noticable than the clear ligatures, but they do not stain, and would still be much less noticable than metal brackets.

i could not be happier with my ceramics. my advice is to go with what you feel you will be more comfortable with.

chris
http://community.webshots.com/user/cruelcanbekind
3m clarity on top changed to supertorque metal
3m victory metals bottom
estimated treatment time 16-20 months

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

A agree with Chrisd and Meryaten.

The ortho was probably referring to the ligatures which Chrisd described. They stain with some food you eat...depending which color you choose.

My ortho is really surprised at how little I stain my ligs. As it was said, even when you do stain them...they aren't too noticeable. I have a very light silver lig that stains less than the completely clear one. Smoke ones I hear are pretty good too.

As for the ceramics in general. I am SO happy of gotten ceramics rather than metal on my top teeth. The change and getting used to was much easier since ceramics are less visible.

Let us know what you decide.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

weird_wired

#4 Post by weird_wired »

To solve this issue forever, see this photo. It shows two brackets of identical age, one of which has no lig, and the other of which has a somewhat yellowed (originally clear) lig.

As you can see, the ceramic bracket itself remains crystal clear:

Greenidgurl

Thanks!

#5 Post by Greenidgurl »

Thank you so much guys for helping me with this important (to me) decision! Y'all are the greatest!!! I'm gonna go for the ceramics - I have no idea why the Orthodontist was trying to talk (rather, scare) me out of them. I get "banded" on March 15, but still need to have 2 of my bottom teeth removed, due to crowding. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks again!