Keeping Essix retainer clean and fresh

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cookie

Keeping Essix retainer clean and fresh

#1 Post by cookie »

Ok, so I've had my upper Essix for 5 or so days now, and I was wondering what other people do to keep theirs fresh and clean? My ortho told me just to use my toothbrush to clean it from time to time, but I'm not sure if this enough. Retainer Brite isn't available over here in the UK, and I'm reluctant to fork out ££££ for shipping from the US. Are there any other alternatives that you could let me know about? :)
Ceramic top braces 14 Dec 2004, Ceramic top braces OFF 2 Jun 2006
Metal bottom braces 26 Apr 2005

Kayla

#2 Post by Kayla »

I just use the Efferdent tablets that people use for cleaning their dentures. It should be available over there too.

braceface75

#3 Post by braceface75 »

I just got mine Tuesday and when I went to the ortho they told me to use retainer bright or denture tablets. They also told me to brush them morning and night.
Michele

Braces and elastics since August 26,2004
Removable expander removed June 16,2005
Braces removed June 2,2006

mtbrncofn

#4 Post by mtbrncofn »

I've had mine for about 8 weeks now and I've done all that was mentioned. I've used the denture cleaner and have not been too impressed. Brushing just doesn't work. As of yet, I haven't found anything that gets them back to the way I want them.

I'm very impatiently waiting for my Retainer Brite. I ordered it almost two weeks ago and paid to have it shipped Priority and it still isn't here yet. :x
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

KittyW

#5 Post by KittyW »

Did your retainer brite arrive yet? I'm considering buying it with the sonic cleaner but wanted your review of it first! :)
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration
Debanded, gorgeous smile on May 16, 2006

mtbrncofn

#6 Post by mtbrncofn »

Well after I got really really irritated with waiting and fired off a few emails, the last being not so pleasant, I got an email back. Turns out there's a shortage on the sonic cleaners, so it'll be another 2 weeks. Grrr. For my troubles, they sent me 2 weeks of the tablets free, and oddly enough about 2 days after that, I got another 2 weeks.

I've tried just the tablets without the sonic cleaner, and I can't really say it's any different than Efferd*nt. I'm really hoping that sonic cleaner is the key. So I'm still waiting......

I'll let you know though if and when I ever get it.

KittyW

#7 Post by KittyW »

Wow, sorry to hear that you've had so much trouble with the order! Disappointed that you don't think it's any better than the Efferdent too. :(

I was surfing archwired.com today and went to the how they make retainers link. They sell retainer supplies and cleaners. Theirs is called SonicBrite and comes in a powder form. The kit isn't inexpensive tho...$50 for the sonic cleaner, cleaning powder and some other stuff. I might just order the powder by itself to try. Anyway, here is a link. Watch the "slide show" because it shows a real Hawley retainer before and after cleaning. It looks brand new after cleaning.
http://www.myretainer.com/HomeCareKit.html
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration

mtbrncofn

#8 Post by mtbrncofn »

Hmmm. That kind of bothers me. After reading the link you posted, I noticed one key phrase, "This is not like those denture tablets or denture tablets wrapped in retainer packaging."

That better not be what Retainer Brite really is. I'm still hoping the sonic cleaner will work magic in conjunction with the tablets. However....I'm still waiting on that part.

mtbrncofn

#9 Post by mtbrncofn »

So I got my Retainer Brite package the other day. I do think the sonic cleaner makes it much more effectual than just the plain old tablets. I'm trying to let them get really gunky before I try it again. I want to see what it can actually clean up. They weren't that bad when I put them in.

KittyW

#10 Post by KittyW »

I ordered the SonicBrite and the sonic cleaner. Figured it would be easier to just bite the bullet. My Hawley is cleaning up fine with gel toothpaste, but my Essix is getting a film on it...probably from the crappy water we have where I live.

I should have it Monday. I'll post a review as soon as I get it. I did an Efferdent cleaning yesterday and while it seems to help a bit, not noticeably so.
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration

mtbrncofn

#11 Post by mtbrncofn »

Yes, please do post a review on the Sonic Brite. I'm curious as to what you think of that one.

KittyW

#12 Post by KittyW »

Sorry for the delay on the Sonic Brite feedback!

I've used it 2 times in the sonic cleaner machine. I love the machine. It has a 15 minute timer on it too. :) The Sonic Brite cleaner is a powder. You place 1/2 tsp. in the sonic cleaner with luke warm water (not hot!). It says to clean your retainers every day for 5 days the first time and then once per week thereafter. My retainers are too new to need it that much. I think it did a better job than the efferdent. My Essix retainer looked brand new! I did have to go over it with a manual tooth brush because the cleaner left some white baking powder stuff on them. It cam right off tho. The retainer is clear and sparkly like new!

My Hawley looks about the same. I don't think my retainers were dirty enough to notice a huge difference.

In all, a good cleaning system. You could use any cleaner in the sonic machine too. :)
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration

mtbrncofn

#13 Post by mtbrncofn »

I am pretty pleased with my Retainer Brite as well now, too. It seems to be the sonic cleaner that is the key to these products, huh?

Glad you're pleased, Kitty!

bbsadmin

#14 Post by bbsadmin »

Retainer Brite and Sonic Brite are both good products. Both work very well; it just depends on whether you like tablets versus powder, and what type of sonic cleaner you prefer.

I am negotiating with the Sonic Brite people right now to try to carry their products at DentaKit.com in the near future.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

jzaboo

#15 Post by jzaboo »

I had clear plastic molds done for teeth brightening, which my orthos said is just like an Essix. I cleaned those by soaking them in warm water with a ton of backing soda, and it cleaned the gunk off really well. It's gentle, and certainly won't hurt them.