Tightness of Essix retainer

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

aliasalias

Tightness of Essix retainer

#1 Post by aliasalias »

Today I just got an Essix retainer. I had a Hawley one before, but I broke it. It took a couple of months before I could get the Essix, though.

My doctor said it would be tight at first since it's been a few months. It was a little tight, but not bad at all. I think it's actually more comfortable and smooth. But lunch time came and I had to take it off. It was nearly impossible to take off, it took me about five minutes of struggling to pop it off.

So my question is, is it just hard to take off because I haven't worn a retainer for a couple months? Or is there a certain way you have to take it off that's different from a Hawley? If this persists, should I see my orthodontist or will I eventually adjust?

Also, I've read the other threads on how to care for them, but people seem to have different opinions/methods: some say brushing scratches it, others say their orthodontist told them to brush it. Some use mouthwas, others Retainer Bright.

I'm not interested in buying Retainer Bright, so what's the best way to care for my retainer? Should I soak it in water during the day since I don't wear it at night?

I realize this is long, thanks for all your help!

jzaboo

#2 Post by jzaboo »

The cheapest and easiet way is to soak it in water with a ton of baking soda in it. Some people buy that Denture stuff, too, can't remember the name of it.

TeenQueen

#3 Post by TeenQueen »

I use Efferdent to clean them.

jzaboo

#4 Post by jzaboo »

That was it, I couldn't remember the name. More expensive, but probably easier.