what did u find the hardest to deal with braces or retainer?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nearlyoffxox

what did u find the hardest to deal with braces or retainer?

#1 Post by nearlyoffxox »

just wondering, since i only have a couple of weeks till my braces come off and am worrying about the retainer, is it that bad??

Duffle

#2 Post by Duffle »

I have to say I HATE my Essix retainer. But thankfully I only have to wear it every other night. Most of my retention is through the bonded retainers top and bottom and I ceased noticing them after and hour. But my Essix are yuck and I feel sorry for anyone having to wear them 24/7.

It's not because they are uncomfortable it's because they collect saliva which then turns to yucky gunk overnight. When I take them out in the morning it makes me retch because of the ickiness, (though it probably doesn't help that I'm 11 weeks pregnant!).

johnnys_angel

#3 Post by johnnys_angel »

Honestly, nearlyoffxox, that neither of them was really hard to deal with for me. I have bonded retainers and I don't even notice them.

~JA~

P.S. Congrats Duffle!!
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

nearlyoffxox

#4 Post by nearlyoffxox »

yeah i didnt find braces hard at all, but now coming on here and reading all the 'horror' strories about retainers im freaking out!!!!

KittyW

#5 Post by KittyW »

Oh, there is NO DOUBT that wearing the braces was a thousand time worse!!! At least with the retainers you can remove them to eat and take photos!!! :D
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration
Debanded, gorgeous smile on May 16, 2006

mtbrncofn

#6 Post by mtbrncofn »

Retainers are way more of a nuisance than braces, IMO.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

mtbrncofn

#7 Post by mtbrncofn »

Hi BA!

I have Essix. I just think they're damn annoying. At least with braces you could just pop something in your mouth if you wanted it. Not so with retainers. Have to take them out anytime you want to do anything. Can't chew gum.

They get nasty. I'm glad I have the Essix because I'm a grinder too. It's scary to see how much you really grind your teeth, which you can see when you look at your retainers. I've almost ground through one set, and the other isn't far behind. My ortho said there's one more thickness he can go if these don't seem like they're going to hold up well enough. I forsee those ones in my future. :)

PS. The Retainer Brite has made all the difference though with the cleanliness of them.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

TeenQueen

#8 Post by TeenQueen »

I would have to say that the retainers are much better.

I have the essix on the top and the hawley on the bottom, and have not had a problem with either.

chops

#9 Post by chops »

hi guys, I was wondering, is essix a clear retainer? and if so, is it possible that I get one even though I already wear a hawley on top right now? it's just that i hve to wear it 24/7 and I think it looks hideous. if essix' don't cost that much I wouldn't mind getting one to wear in the day time and then at night I could wear my hawley....I know that if I lose my hawley, it would cost about 200 to replace, so I guess that's how much it's worth. do u guys know aroudn how much an essix/ or clear retainer is?

thanks in advance

hidngat39

#10 Post by hidngat39 »

I got my braces off on the 12th and I am so happy!!! :D

I have upper & lower Essix and no bonded ones. I really thought I'd get a bonded one on the lowers, but nope. I wear my Essix 24/7 for 2 months and then just overnight.

I really dealt with the braces better than the retainers. That's only because the retainer is so easy to leave out. I love to look at my teeth and show them off and they are so much easier to see with the Essix out, though they are clear enough to seem invisible! :D

My Essix are doing double-duty as whitening trays and they work great in that regard-you certainly couldn't do that with a Hawley (which my ortho does not use anymore!) Replacement is $100.

I am now consulting with my dentist to determine if and when I might need to get a bite plate for overnight since grinding is what made me need braces in the 1st place!

As for the yuckiness-yes they're kinda slimy when you take them out, but just make sure to brush them when you brush your teeth and no probs!

Happy SMILING!! :D
I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!!

nearlyoffxox

#11 Post by nearlyoffxox »

well im naked!! it is an amazing feeling to be free after so long!!
But i am still losing sleep over these retainers, Are they uncomfortable? help!! This is one long journey...

chops

#12 Post by chops »

I've been wearing my hawley a few days now, and I still hate it!!! I dont' know if essix is any better, but I'm looking into getting one for day wear.

does anyone know if they have to take impressions again if I want a new retainer? also, is it possible to switch between essix and hawley? I'd hate to see my hawley go to waste even if I hate it.

nearlyoffxox

#13 Post by nearlyoffxox »

TeenQueen wrote:I would have to say that the retainers are much better.

I have the essix on the top and the hawley on the bottom, and have not had a problem with either.
Im liking these sort of comments!! Im getting really nervous now!

I guess ill see tomorrow...

Rebraced

#14 Post by Rebraced »

I got my braces off a week ago and now have retainers upper and lower. I found the braces were easier overall. I could eat anytime without having to remove the retainers. Also when I go out to eat having to go to the bathroom and remove the retainers is such a pain compared to braces. Any thoughts?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Braced on 9/20/05 Top and Bottom
Clear brackets with wire ties

nearlyoffxox

#15 Post by nearlyoffxox »

well, they're in...

I guess it doesnt seem as bad, as i had scared myself into thinking it was going to be the worst thing ever, so when it actually happened it wasnt half bad. The reatiners are fine, theyre not too uncomfortable, only have to be worn for two months during the day, and are holding onto all the work of the braces which i did not go throught to have them go crooked on me again, so overall i love my reatiner :twisted: its here to stay!!