teeth feel disgusting

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gv1031

teeth feel disgusting

#1 Post by gv1031 »

Is it normal that your teeth should feel really disgusting in the first few days of your braces off?
I keep having the urge to lick my teeth and like my teeth are missing some coating, or theres like glue still stuck on my teeth.
is there any way to get rid of the feeling?

stRaighteR

#2 Post by stRaighteR »

ur ortho may have missed some glue...

some orthos also tell their patients to go and get a dental cleaning after their braces are off...

joney

#3 Post by joney »

I was brushing my teeth this morning and I mentioned how my mouth feels yucky and slimy until I brush my teeth (I am not in braces yet). My eldest daughter (who is out of braces about a year now) mentioned that her teeth felt like this for a while when she first got her braces removed. We joked about maybe keeping braces on forever to make sure our teeth stayed straight and to avoid the yucky slimy feeling.

So my daughter's teeth felt horrible too immediately after she had her brace off. A year down the line she still remembers this feeling although
obviously they feel fine now.

weird_wired

#4 Post by weird_wired »

Mine didn't feel disgusting, just slippery for a couple of hours.

However the left-over glue/cement feeling is very different - it feels rough and gritty on the tooth. I have some on one of my back teeth, but I will get it removed next visit. (It's my fault the ortho didn't remove it, because my teeth were getting sensitive with all the cleaning, and when he finally got to that one, I was just wincing too much. Not from pain of cleaning, but from the coldness of the water-sucker thing. My teeth get very temperature sensitive).