Not happy with final result - what do you think?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

doug00027

Not happy with final result - what do you think?

#1 Post by doug00027 »

Hello,
This is my second time around of having braces. I had them the first time in my early teens, as my teeth were all over the place, and by the time the procedure was completed, I was 18, and my teeth were near perfect.
However, by my early 30s, my teeth had moved, and the two front lower teeth had rotated in on themselves.

So I saw the ortho in early 2004 (aged 31) and had braces re-fitted to de-rotate them. Halfway through the treatment, I decided to have my top teeth straightened (in for a penny, in for a pound!) as I thought they were beginning to look a bit like buck teeth.
A few days ago, the braces came off (a very happy day!), but I'm not convinced that my teeth are 100% okay. They're angled outwards from the gum, and not vertical.
See pics below (sorry about the teeth color - I'm seeing th dentist next week for a clean!):

I wished I'd noticed this earlier while my braces were still on, but it was hard to see my teeth's final position with all the brackets and wires in my mouth.
Am I being over the top? I'm seeing the ortho in a few days time for a follow-up appointment. Should I question him regarding this? Will I need to be re-braced?

Chris

#2 Post by Chris »

I think they look fine. Perhaps if they retracted the front teeth more it would affect your bite. How is your bite?
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

doug00027

#3 Post by doug00027 »

Thanks for the reply!
Bite is excellent. I'm sure when I originally had my teeth straightened back in my teens, they were much more vertical than this.

Attagirl2

#4 Post by Attagirl2 »

Doug, looking at your pictures, I presume that you have thin lips. I wonder if he flared your teeth to give your lips some more support? I have thin lips and my teeth are more veritcal. I am wondering what will happen when the braces are off, because my over bite is less thereby leaving my lips to cover more = less lips...? if that makes sense.

Also, could your teeth sesame over time have caused the flaring? Just a thought....

Anyway, your teeth do look nice. :dance:
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

stRaighteR

#5 Post by stRaighteR »

i think they're nice...=)

fins

#6 Post by fins »

The front teeth are supposed to flare out a bit. I don't know the range of mm but your dentist or ortho could tell you.

biteowl

#7 Post by biteowl »

If they were not flared a bit, they might be clashing with your lower teeth instead of biting together smoothly - perhaps to minimize the chances of your lower teeth getting pressure put on them and possibly shifting/rotating back? At any rate, I think they look pretty darn nifty - what a nice smile! :thumbsup:

sjsarre

#8 Post by sjsarre »

I think your teeth look great.

yaz

#9 Post by yaz »

I like them, definitely a very neat, nice smile! :thumbsup:

Lyn

#10 Post by Lyn »

Awesome - Terrific - GREAT!! :dance:

If you're not happy though, a quick consult with the ortho. will alleviate any questions you're having! :?:

Good Luck! :thumbsup:
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7

lesliew

#11 Post by lesliew »

I think your teeth look great. I have a slight flare too. I asked my ortho about it and he said your upper and lower teeth aren't meant to align together. He straightened my teeth according to my profile. Everyone has a different profile and natural bite. You don't want to overcorrect because that could lead to problems.

Big Dave

Not happy with final results

#12 Post by Big Dave »

Doug, your teeth look fine! It can be a lonely journey having ortho treatment,thank god for web site's like this!Second opinions are very important.I too had doubt over my projecting front teeth, my mind was put at rest yesterday when I visited my dentist for a check up. I took the oppotunity to question him on my treatment ( I had a list prepared),although he was not an orthodontic expert he new about projections and bite.He reasured me that my teeth were fine,which was good because my brace's may come off today!My ortho had told me that projections of between 1 and 4 mm were normal and that anything over 4mm could be classed as "goofy". I hope the reasurences that you have received have helped,but you could try questioning your dentist next time you visit for more comfort.
All the best
Dave

ChooChooo

#13 Post by ChooChooo »

my friend had braces 10 years ago that basically aligned her top teeth on top of her lower teeth, and now she has ALOT of jaw problems/ pain etc. and should again undergo treatment to correct this mistake. I think your teeth look good and if your bite is okay then all the better.