Retainer isn't retaining my teeth? Any help appreciated!

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

yellowmustard

Retainer isn't retaining my teeth? Any help appreciated!

#1 Post by yellowmustard »

I had my braces taken off 10/31. I wear my retainer religiously(20+ hrs a day) and my teeth began looking slanted for some reason. My top teeth wasn't symentrical as the right side of my teeth is slanted up. I wasn't sure what to do so i just wore the retainer regardless and set an appointment but I had to wait 3 weeks since he was on vacation. I went to my ortho on 12/21 to check up on my retainer to see if the retainer had problems and he adjusted my retainer. It's been a week however and my teeth still looks slanted and crooked.

I was told my tongue is moving my teeth but shouldn't my retainer retain back my teeth though(at least isnt that the purpose of a retainer?)

I'm just extremely frustrated about this and I didn't payy 4000 dollars just to have crooked/slanted teeth. Is my teeth going to shift back had it was when i got my braces off? how long will it take?

thanks for any feedback.

*Update*
my ortho told me not to wear my retainer for a month to see how my teeth is moving. he's most likely gonna put braces on again =\
At least he isn't charging though so its cool.

if i don't wear my retainer for a month, wouldn't my teeth move dramatically?
Last edited by yellowmustard on Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

jennielee81

#2 Post by jennielee81 »

Sounds very frustrating!!

I am without any FIRST HAND advice or answers for you.

I do know that two of my daughter's upper front teeth started to move a bit and the retainer didn't keep it from happening. Her ortho kept saying he didn't see any problem (there really was a noticable gap). He made some adjustments to the retainer the gap is still there.

If you could post pictures that may help us help you.

good luck!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

yellowmustard

#3 Post by yellowmustard »

bump any help please?

Chris

#4 Post by Chris »

If you are tongue thrusting, I don't think the retainer will help.
You'll need to retrain your tongue. Not kidding.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

yellowmustard

#5 Post by yellowmustard »

If you are tongue thrusting, I don't think the retainer will help.
You'll need to retrain your tongue. Not kidding.
you have any advice or tips on how to stop tongue thrusting?

im surprised my ortho never gave much emphasis on this. is it too late to correct this?

Chris

#6 Post by Chris »

I wish I did. They have retainers with spikes on them to prevent you from doing this. Doesn't sound too comfortable. :( Perhaps you can do a google search on the subject.
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

yellowmustard

#7 Post by yellowmustard »

what should i say to my ortho when i see him? im frustrated overall and prettty much pissed about my situation. i spent 4000 dollars and to have my teeth straight just 2 weeks isnt worth it.

AlloyAngel

I'm Having the Same Problem!!

#8 Post by AlloyAngel »

This story is very familiar to me, too! I got my braces off in the end of August a few months back. Since then, my top teeth have tipped right back inwards, causing my bottom teeth to crowd and twist--even sliding past each other in a couple of places! I have made NUMEROUS trips to my ortho--who has done everything from replace my wire retainer with plastic trays (essix) to try and force my teeth back in to their post-braces removal position. But I, like you, only had straight teeth for a whole of about two weeks before my top teeth tipped inward and slant. I am EXTREMELY frustrated--mostly because I do wear my retainers all of the time. The Essix-type retainer doesn't seem to be doing much of anything, except make me drool and make eating a hassle. I almost wish that I was in braces again!!! I can't believe I paid this much for my straight teeth to last such a short time.

yellowmustard

#9 Post by yellowmustard »

This story is very familiar to me, too! I got my braces off in the end of August a few months back. Since then, my top teeth have tipped right back inwards, causing my bottom teeth to crowd and twist--even sliding past each other in a couple of places! I have made NUMEROUS trips to my ortho--who has done everything from replace my wire retainer with plastic trays (essix) to try and force my teeth back in to their post-braces removal position. But I, like you, only had straight teeth for a whole of about two weeks before my top teeth tipped inward and slant. I am EXTREMELY frustrated--mostly because I do wear my retainers all of the time. The Essix-type retainer doesn't seem to be doing much of anything, except make me drool and make eating a hassle. I almost wish that I was in braces again!!! I can't believe I paid this much for my straight teeth to last such a short time.
lol i feel exactly how you feeling. whats currently happening to your teeth? whats is your ortho saying?

this has honestly been bothering me. any advice will be appreciated. having braces again isnt the issue, it's that i dont have another 4000 to spend again.

Chris

#10 Post by Chris »

I'm curious, what was the TOTAL length of your treatment time in braces for both of you?
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

yellowmustard

#11 Post by yellowmustard »

if i have been tongue thrusting the whole time, do i need braces to correct it? so far, even wearing my retainer, my teeth isnt that great.

Chris

#12 Post by Chris »

If you have a tongue thrusting habit, no amount of braces wear will help, your teeth will move again. You need to retrain your tongue. Ask your dentist for some advice.
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

yellowmustard

#13 Post by yellowmustard »

so if my toungue doesnt touch my teeth(during the swallow or whenever), that means im not tongue thrusting. am i correct?

Chris

#14 Post by Chris »

so if my toungue doesnt touch my teeth(during the swallow or whenever), that means im not tongue thrusting. am i correct?
Yes, I believe thats right. But I am no expert on the subject.
It could also happen when you are sleeping and your tongue presses against your front teeth.
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

yellowmustard

#15 Post by yellowmustard »

*Update*
my ortho told me not to wear my retainer for a month to see how my teeth is moving. he's most likely gonna put braces on again =\
At least he isn't charging though so its cool.

if i don't wear my retainer for a month, wouldn't my teeth move dramatically?