Getting Damon 2 braces off in 4 weeks, retainer ?s

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

viksterlou

Getting Damon 2 braces off in 4 weeks, retainer ?s

#1 Post by viksterlou »

I found out today that I am finally getting my damon 2 braces off in 4 weeks. I go back in 3 weeks to get the molds done and then 1 week after that I go in for debanding and mounting of the permanent retainers.
I am getting permanent retainers on the top and bottom, but the ortho mentioned today that I would need another retainer for the top? Why do I need another retainer if I have permanent ones? I understand its probably to hold the arch in place, but do I have to wear this 24 hour a day? I would think it would be just for night? I questioned him, but he said he would talk about it at our next visit, he had another guest.

victory1

#2 Post by victory1 »

Congratulations! I have a permanent retainer on top and I still have Hawleys top & bottom. Yes, I have to wear them 24/7. She told me to only remove them to eat & brush my teeth. I did leave them off New Years eve since I was out with friends and did not put them on until the next day. At that point it was 2 weeks since I had my braces removed. The retainers were off for about 14 hours and when I put them on, the top felt tight and the bottom felt ok. I don't know why the top moved since I do have the perm retainer and the bottom did not and I don't have a perm retainer on it; so go figure!

Also I should tell you that my permanent retainer on top only covers the 4 front teeth.

jcdamon3

#3 Post by jcdamon3 »

The permanent retainer that I have on the lower teeth is not retaining the teeth all that well so go with your orthos advice and where the upper removeable retainer in addition to the permanent retainer.

The reason it is not retaining that well is that it is boned to the two canines and then just a wire that goes across the teeth in back. There is nothing really keeping the teeth from moving forward if I so desired to push on them incessantly with my tongue or some other bad habit. Also even though the wire is there is does not seem to be enough to keep those teeth from rotating slightly and getting gaps which they have done. My ortho said that the teeth would move a bit at first and then stop, which they seem to have done. It is not that obvious and if I were a perfectionist I would be back in the office for banding again.

Good luck with your debanding!
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!