Hawley vs Essix

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Will VT

Hawley vs Essix

#1 Post by Will VT »

I'll be getting braces on in two days, but I'm already getting curious about retainers. I've done a bit of looking at both Hawley and Essix retainers, and had a few questions.

First, some background. I grind my teeth. Not all the time, but when I'm stressed it happens in my sleep as well as when I'm concentrating on a task. My ortho has hinted that he's planning to put me in a permanent retainer for the bottom and an Essix (to help with the night grinding). This sounds reasonable, but I was just looking at the Wikipedia entry for retainers and it said the following:
Essix retainers, if worn 24 hours per day, do not allow the upper and lower teeth to touch because plastic covers the chewing surfaces of the teeth. Some orthodontists feel that it is important for the top and bottom chewing surfaces to meet to allow for "favorable settling" to occur. Essix retainers are less expensive, more aesthetic and easier to wear than Hawley retainers.
The concept of "favorable settling" makes sense to me, but how important is this? Is an Essix retainer's impact on my grinding enough to outweigh the benefits of "favorable settling" provided by a Hawley? Is it a good idea to go with a Hawley and just get a splint/night guard to address the grinding?

Any advice, especially from folks in a similar situation, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Chris

#2 Post by Chris »

I'm a clencher/grinder too. And I also read what you posted regarding the Essix. It seems to me that a nightguard would also prevent the teeth from "settling" since nightguards are usually just stronger Essix type pieces. Of course you only wear the nightguards at night. I also worry about teeth extruding because of wearing the nightguard or essix.

Others on the board have commented that they bit right through their Essix retainers in a matter of months because they are so thin. Guess it depends on how strong of a grinder you are.

I had thought about getting a hawley for day wear and essix by night but what if they have to tweak the hawley, then the essix no longer fits.

Wish I had an answer on this one as I will be facing the same when my braces come off.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Will VT

#3 Post by Will VT »

Others on the board have commented that they bit right through their Essix retainers in a matter of months because they are so thin. Guess it depends on how strong of a grinder you are.
Hmm. This actually sounds like a reasonably good idea. If it is thin, I'd imagine it would have less impact on settling than a traditional night guard. My ortho includes free retainer repair/replacement (as long as you don't lose it), so if I do bit through the Essix, I guess it wouldn't be that big a deal to get a new one.

Anybody else have any experience in this area?

downhillsnowskier

#4 Post by downhillsnowskier »

I would lay out your concerns to the ortho and see what he/she thinks when the time comes to take your retainer impressions. I have had both the essix and the hawley, I prefer the hawley but many of my friends are more than happy with the essix. You don't want to go back and forth between retainers because of the reason you pointed out, they can shift in the Hawley but not in the essix. On the other hand, my essix warped over time and the teeth shifted anyway. So discuss your concerns and see what your ortho can do for you, thats my advice. Good luck.

downhillsnowskier

#5 Post by downhillsnowskier »

I would lay out your concerns to the ortho and see what he/she thinks when the time comes to take your retainer impressions. I have had both the essix and the hawley, I prefer the hawley but many of my friends are more than happy with the essix. You don't want to go back and forth between retainers because of the reason you pointed out, they can shift in the Hawley but not in the essix. On the other hand, my essix warped over time and the teeth shifted anyway. So discuss your concerns and see what your ortho can do for you, thats my advice. Good luck.

downhillsnowskier

#6 Post by downhillsnowskier »

smileygirly

#7 Post by smileygirly »

My ortho gives out hawleys and essix's to patients for all cosmetic reasons. I have had a Phase One Treatment two years ago, so I have had essix and hawleys. I loved both! The essix was kinda gross because when you pull it out, it is all gross and all, but it is clear and nobody has clue. I had a bonded retainer on the bottom. Hawleys are comfy, but they have wires. Bonded are a breeze to care for. I guess it's all preference.