Retainer isn't retaining my teeth? Any help appreciated!

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

yellowmustard

#16 Post by yellowmustard »

bump help?

Chris

#17 Post by Chris »

Well, if they are moving WITH the retainer on, then more than likely they will move without them too. Perhaps he has another plan. You need to ask.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

snowgirl

#18 Post by snowgirl »

I'm surprised to hear there are others out there like myself who are going through the same issue.
My first time in braces was about 5 years ago, had them on for little over 2 years. I was very satisfied with my teeth when I got my braces off. I had a permanent bottom retainer and the upper front four teeth glued together (like a permanent top retainer but a different style). I also was wearing both top and bottom wire retainers. Few months had past and noticed gaps forming in front of the 2nd tooth from the back (don't know what it's called) on both sides top and bottom. These gaps became bigger
and noticeable, I mentioned it at my 6 month appointment and basically was told it is natural for a little shifting and the gap was not that big. My last appointment came after a year since I got the braces off and brought up the same issue (by then you could fit a small tooth in the gaps) and told him I was not satisfied with the results and demanded to fix this issue. He basically said we can put them back on but there is no guarantee it would be fixed, It could happen again once we take them off. He gave me a discount and I had to pay $600 for the materials. At this point I am very upset and disappointed like you, and thought as much as I don't want them back on I would regret it if I didn't. So I got them back on and have had them for 9 months. This is the good part, I was just told that I could get them off in March. YEAH!! :D
So this time they decided to go with the clear retainers (Essix) both top and bottom. Of course they are also putting in the permanent retainers both top and bottom. So we shall see what happens!
I figure I am going to accept whatever happens since I gave it another shot with the braces for the second time! :heart:
There is noooo way I'm doing it for the third time!
Sorry this is so long, I hope everything works out for you and as much as you don't like having them back on I think you will be glad you did. :thumbsup: Stay positive.

yellowmustard

#19 Post by yellowmustard »

hahah thanks snowgirl. all i can do now is wait. hopefully my teeth will be good this time they take it off.