Did anyone here have 4 extractions (premolars/bicuspids)?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BracesAgain

Did anyone here have 4 extractions (premolars/bicuspids)?

#1 Post by BracesAgain »

If you had 4 extractions of these teeth, are you happy with the results after treatment? Do you miss those teeth?

SimInsomniac

#2 Post by SimInsomniac »

I had 4 removed to make room, and although I'm not finished yet, as the extraction gaps are closing it's as if they were never there in the first place! There's nothing to worry about losing these teeth in my opinion. :D

Sim
Damon 3 braces for 22.5 months.
30th August 2005 - 13th July 2007

snowgirl

#3 Post by snowgirl »

I also had 4 extracted and 2 of my bottom wisdom teeth all at once. Since my history with braces is long, If you go look at my reply to "Retainer isn't retaining my teeth? Any help appreciated! "By Yellowmustard, this might give you an idea. I'm sure this doesn't happen to most people but it did to me. The doctor didn't say it was because I extracted teeth but why would all 4 places where I did extract teeth gap? It also might have something to do with pulling the wisdom teeth as well, but most people have already extracted there wisdom tooth.
So, now that I think back I never did ask if I could do it with out extracting any teeth. All 3 ortho's I went to get a consultation said I would extract some teeth, I just assumed this was needed to make room and not an option.
If you don't have to extract, I wouldn't do it. If you do, remember not all cases are the same.
Good luck!

alexa

#4 Post by alexa »

I'm not debonded yet, but I will be in the next couple of months.

I had 4 teeth extracted, and so far, I'm all good with the results. The gaps are gone, and as like mentioned above, it's like they were never there.

Sometimes with severe crowding, there is just no choice but to extract. This is how it was with me.
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

katy

#5 Post by katy »

Hi... I am into my third month of freedom from braces but before I even first got my braces in 2004, I had all 4 second pre-molars removed to make room for my over-crowded teeth. Now that I'm finished with braces treatment and using retainers, the results are amazing - I don't even think of the four teeth extracted, you can't even tell they ever existed.

The only minor problem I've got is I still have a tiny gap (about 1mm) between two of my bottom teeth from one extraction - I guess the ortho could have persisted with trying to close it but when it came down to it, my bite was perfect and everything else was fine so why risk messing everything else up for one tiny gap that only I notice?

All I can advise is that you trust your ortho in his judgement - if he is confident you can lose four teeth and still be able to close all gaps, then go with it... You'll be amazed at what they can do!

Best of Luck

Katy