Concerns about Essix Retainer durability

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

brittonrs26

Concerns about Essix Retainer durability

#1 Post by brittonrs26 »

Hello everyone-

I am being debanded in March after 27 months in braces :lol: . My orthodontist uses Essix retainers on all of his patients. I am apprehensive in using this type of retainer because, based on my research, it is not very durable. I have heard that the average life span of this retainer is about 6 months-2 years. I do not want to have to be shelling out 200.00 per retainer if they are just going to break in 6 months or so. This is, however, my only concern.

Are there any members of the board that have been using an Essix retainer for at least a year or longer? If so, would you provide feedback about your overall experience with the Essix retainer? Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

I am going to speak to my orthodontist about my concerns. However, I want to hear about other peoples' experiences so I can get a balanced perspective and be completely prepared to discuss my options with my orthodontist.

Thank you very much for your time.

-Rebekah

joney

#2 Post by joney »

Hi brittonrs26

My 16 year old daughter has had her brace off for about 18 months now. She has Essix retainers and hasn't had any movement in her teeth. She still wears them every night. I was a bit worried when I read on this board about their durability and I asked the ortho if she would need to get them replaced. He responded that there is no need to get them replaced unless they get damaged so we'll just carry on with them until such a time as they need to be replaced but so far so good.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

Kittysopretty

#3 Post by Kittysopretty »

Hi! I had the same concerns but seeing as they retain the teeth the best I'll take the chance! I am super careful with mine and often get paranoid lol. I really adore the Essix. I always loosen the back before pulling it out and that seems to be the trick.