How long before...

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tin Man

How long before...

#1 Post by Tin Man »

How long before your teeth really "set" into their new positions after you get your braces off? I got mine off almost four months ago and I can still wiggle my teeth around with my fingers.
Mike
3M smartclips top and bottom since 10/13/04
Off November 06!

Brooke

#2 Post by Brooke »

Hi tinman, I'd actually like to add to your question. I know retainers keep teeth in place and "settle" your teeth but they adjust retainers and are constantly tightening them.. it makes your teeth move on occasion. How can they settle if the retainers being adjusted can move teeth still? I just got mine adjusted and my teeth moved again.... im confused on how this all works.
*Usually the longer roads lead to more rewarding endings*

Braced~ 10/11/04
Braces come off May 2, 2006!!!!! :)
Hawley Retainer full time!

Attagirl2

#3 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi Tinman, my othrodontist told me it could take up to a year for my teeth to settle and firm up within the bone. Brooke, As for them moving and needing adjustments, bone breaks down and reforms, and since our teeth want to go back to their original positons, we need the retainers tweeked. This is just how I look at it....
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

mtb_nwbraces

#4 Post by mtb_nwbraces »

TinMan, Man it's been a while since I posted here. I have been in retainers for about 8 months and my teeth still feel a little loose. My son who has been in retainers for five years still tells me his teeth feel a little loose. With that being said, I normally only wear my retainers for half the day. When I put them back in they are tight for about 30 seconds. If I leave them out for the whole day I notice even more pressure when I put my retainers back.
Braced - Jan 6th 2005
Full Metal Brackets
Teeth released from Bondage - July 25th 2006