Retainers and Pain

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

honzipe

Retainers and Pain

#1 Post by honzipe »

So I finally got my braces off this morning and I have an essex retainer on my top and bottom. The removal process wasn't too bad, just a lot of scrapping really, my teeth were just a little sore. But as time went on my teeth become more and more sore and now they're almost as tender as when i first got my braces on! Is this normal?

flipib05

#2 Post by flipib05 »

Congrats on getting them off! i got mine off today as well and my teeth are VERY tender. my ortho said this is very common and not to worry. enjoy your days being naked!!!!

victory1

#3 Post by victory1 »

Yes the soreness is normal, it will last a couple of days. My teeth was tender for 4 days, especially when eating.

JoeMama

#4 Post by JoeMama »

Yep - the soreness is normal. It will go away. And if you don't wear your retainer all the time (or as your ortho recommends) they tend to be a little sore when you put it back in.
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

Chris

#5 Post by Chris »

I wear mine all the time and some of my teeth are still achy and sore...this after 7 weeks.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007