Braces vs. retainer. What's easier?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

genxsis

Braces vs. retainer. What's easier?

#1 Post by genxsis »

My ortho hinted at my last adjustment that I might be out of braces this summer, which would mean 1 more adjustment, and then the next appt. would be "braces off" day. In anticipation of this, I'm now doubling up on my elastics to make sure the process goes as quickly as possible. (I asked about doing this first).

As much as I would like to get out of the braces, I just did some reading in the "Naked Tooth" forum and it sounds like the retainer phase is a pain in the butt too! So to those who have now done both, I ask you: Which is easier, the braces or the retainer.

I mean, I'd like to get out of the braces ASAP, but is having them off like "jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire"? Or is it better?
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

platinum

#2 Post by platinum »

I have both braces and a retainer at the same time. I think the retainer is more annoying. Braces just sit there, but retainer causes speech problems and it is uncomfortable to have plastic plate on your palate.

empire11

#3 Post by empire11 »

I agree, the hawley (removable) retainer is much more intrusive. I often forgot I had braces but the retainer is always on my mind. The permanent bonded on the bottom doesn't bother me at all, much like the braces. I was never embarassed about having braces but am now because of my speech difficulties.

My eating habits haven't really changed...still have to cut things up into small bits and avoid the sticky stuff so far.

Mind you, I'm only a week into the retainer phase. Hoping it improves down the road...

Keith

#4 Post by Keith »

First of all, retainers come out, and for most people, you can take them out for special events, and in many cases, you only need to wear them at night.

Thinking about the hassle of braces-cleaning, flossing, rinsing, sores, pain, etc., It's a no brainer; The retainer is way better.

Yes, the plastic part feels weird, very weird at first and speaking is not always easy but of course it gets better. Good luck and enjoy the spring!

genxsis

#5 Post by genxsis »

Whew! :D Well, I hope my experience will be better than most. My braces were really quite a pain in the beginning, and I was hoping things would only be better (maybe even total liberation) after the braces came off.

Now how long are retainers used for full time before the ortho says it's alright just to use it at night?
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

edinburger

#6 Post by edinburger »

If retainers are sometimes a worse experience than braces, I wonder if anyone's ortho has offered them a chance to simply keep their braces on for a couple of months longer and then maybe wear retainers at night only?

jennielee81

#7 Post by jennielee81 »

I like my retainers more than braces.

True, the braces just sit there....but the retainers come out and I can brush and floss and have gorgous teeth for special events. You get used to the reatainers after about a month or so...at least I did.

Eating is also so much more enjoyable now!!!

My vote for what is EASIER:

RETAINERS are!

edited to make response clearer and to answer the specific question.
Last edited by jennielee81 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

genxsis

#8 Post by genxsis »

jennielee81 wrote:I like my retainers more than braces.

True, the braces just sit there....but the retainers come out and I can brush and floss and have gorgous teeth for special events. You get used to the reatainers after about a month or so...at least I did.

Eating is also so much more enjoyable now!!!

My vote for what is MORE ANNOYING:

BRACES are!
I'm sure glad to hear that! :wink:

That gives me something to look forward to. I do agree that it's not always easy to eat with braces. Even now, I always have to be careful when biting down when chewing because I have a tendency to bite my lip or cheek with the molar bands, or where a tooth is coming down on a bracket and the skin gets caught in between.

belmikry

#9 Post by belmikry »

braces- retainer comes out ;)

i can't wait until i can speak properly :P
Braces off- 12 months 1 week in braces- estimate 18-21 months!
First time in braces- Damon 3's- 01-30-06 - 02-09-2007 hawley clear retainer on top, permenant retainer on bottom

sportsgrl97

#10 Post by sportsgrl97 »

BRACES!!! enough said.

retainers u have to worry about losing and u have to take out everytime u eat. braces after u get used to them u dont notice them and u carry on with your normal life but with retainers u have to take them out and put them back in everytime u eat, drink, and brush your teeth and u have to worry about losing them every second of the day. braces stay there and only bother u when u have to clean them..... everyone plays them out to be a lot worse than what they really are in my opinion.

Michelle

Rebraced

#11 Post by Rebraced »

I prefer my braces over the whole retainer thing. With the retainer you have to take them out everytime you eat and it's just such a pain. I vote for braces longer over my retainer. Just my personal opinion of what I have experienced.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Braced on 9/20/05 Top and Bottom
Clear brackets with wire ties

Rebraced

#12 Post by Rebraced »

I prefer my braces over the whole retainer thing. With the retainer you have to take them out everytime you eat and it's just such a pain. I vote for braces longer over my retainer. Just my personal opinion of what I have experienced.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Braced on 9/20/05 Top and Bottom
Clear brackets with wire ties

Chris

#13 Post by Chris »

Braces were most annoying because of all the bite changes and the need to brush constantly. Elastics the worst.

The hawleys are usually comfortable, sometimes annoying, but you can take them off to brush and floss! I still enjoy brushing my teeth now.

I wear my hawleys 24/7 except to eat and brush.

Sometimes the hardest part is remembering to take the retainer case with you when you leave the house.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

JoeMama

#14 Post by JoeMama »

Retainers are much better for me! They're smooth. They come out. I HATED wearing braces.
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

blue

#15 Post by blue »

For me, retainers are worse. Sure, braces made me feel self-conscious, but they were fairly unobtrusive and I usually forgot they were there unless I was laughing or smiling. Conversely, I am very aware I have retainers in. They mess up my speech and I have to do a lot more planning when it comes to eating and caring for them. I also actually take them out when I'm on the phone or talk to anyone I'm not comfortable with or close to. Making an "S" or "CH" sound is so difficult with retainers. I've been practicing "Sally sells seashells..." when I'm alone to see if I can figure it out.