Chose Essix - Yikes

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

buurin

Chose Essix - Yikes

#1 Post by buurin »

Now I have less than 24 hours to go on braces - will get debonded tomorrow at 3pm. He lets me choose the retainers. I picked Essix for both top and bottom, but after a quick read here it seems like I had better not - yikes! :o He lets me pick between Harley or Essix on top and bottom, or bond a permanent retainer on lower. He says Hawley may affect speech so I picked Essix.

Thoughts?
Buurin - the fat pink flying pig of love and courage!
Braced 10/7/2004 - 4/23/2007 - GAC In-Ovation R - Essix Retainer

buurin

#2 Post by buurin »

Meryaten wrote:Why not talk it over with your doc tomorrow, and ask him which he would prefer for your case (and why). I am sure he can send out for either one once he takes the impressions tomorrow.
Problem is the impressions (and choice) was taken two Saturdays ago, and he already sent for Essix... :( And he did tell me Hawleys are known to affect speech.

Wish I came across these discussions earlier.

Anyway, picked it up today, and the upper left 1 position flared a little bit outwards, but enough to tickle my upper lips. Sounded off immediately and he tried to file it down a bit, but can do only so much and it still sticks a bit out. Says I need to get used to it...

Follow up every 3 months until next year, 24/7 wear for 6 months.
Buurin - the fat pink flying pig of love and courage!
Braced 10/7/2004 - 4/23/2007 - GAC In-Ovation R - Essix Retainer

Chris

#3 Post by Chris »

Having tried both hawley and essix I can tell you that the Essix is more comfortable, less bulky than a hawley. However, the hawley isn't too bad either just alittle more bulk with the acrylic added. My speech isn't much different unless I try to talk too fast. :lol:

Couldn't believe how tight the essix is though. Very very difficult to get off...like a second skin. And when you drink hot liquids like coffee or tea you HAVE to take them out...easy to forget because they are so comfortable.

If you don't like one you can always get the other.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007