HELP!!! Hawley v/s Bonded

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KDangel18

HELP!!! Hawley v/s Bonded

#1 Post by KDangel18 »

I go tomorrow to get my impressions made for my retainers. My ortho wants me to get the bonded ones, but i've heard some horror stories about them. I'm thinking of going with the Hawley on top and bottom, just so that I will be able to floss without having to buy the expensive floss for the rest of my life, but I wanted to get some more opinions. Thanks so much :-#)

Upper-Ceramic
Lower-Metal
Braced 2/22/06
Removed 5/23/07

momof2grlz

#2 Post by momof2grlz »

I didn't get a choice. I'm getting a fixed lower, an essix lower for nightime and an upper hawley for 24/7. The way I understand it, the lower teeth have more of a tendancy to shift with age so the bonded lower retainer holds them in place more securely. After dealing with hygiene with braces, I'm not too worried about flossing with a bonded lower. It's only behind the front 6 teeth - canine to canine.

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07