How Long?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Caralyn03

How Long?

#1 Post by Caralyn03 »

I was just wondering how long it takes to get your braces off? I'm getting mine off on June 20th at 8am but i have to write an exam for school( my school is 10 mins away from my ortho) at 9am. In your opinion will I be able to make it to my exam? They said it takes about a half hour but I just want to make sure.

Thanks In Advance Caralyn

cinnamint

#2 Post by cinnamint »

If I were you, I would rearrange your dental appointment just in case there's a problem or they are running late (although sounds like you have the first appt of the day!). You'll only be panicking if they are and you don't want to be stressed just before an exam.

Anticipator

#3 Post by Anticipator »

I got my braces off yesterday and all told it took me over an hour and a half from when I arrived until I left.

Things definitely could've been streamlined more. The actual debanding only took a half hour or so including grinding off the glue, but the photos, impressions, learning how to use the x-ray machine, x-rays, retainer discussions, attending to other patients, bonding, finding supplies, tooth reshaping, scheduling next visit, etc, etc added on a lot of time.

They had quoted me an hour.

If it's literally just an appointment for taking off your braces and grinding off the glue it should be fine, but they'll probably need to do all the final photos, x-rays, and possibly molds too. Plus if you're getting a permanent retainer, or need any tooth reshaping you're definitely over the mark.

I'd advise rescheduling, but call first maybe they're planning on doing all this in multiple appointments.
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

Caralyn03

#4 Post by Caralyn03 »

I think it is just for taking the braces off because I have another appointment the next day and they said they need to get the molds done for 8:30 and i already have a permanent retainer in.

Stich

#5 Post by Stich »

It took about an hour for me and that included removing upper and lower braces, cleaning and scraping the glue off, and putting a lower permanent retainer in. They did not take xrays, etc. as that is happening in my next appointment. I also was the first patient and did not have to wait and it still took about an hour.

Becky

flipib05

#6 Post by flipib05 »

It only took me 15 minutes to do everything and then i was out the door. Quick & Easy :D