My ortho said you can eat with retainers....true or false?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

looloog

My ortho said you can eat with retainers....true or false?

#1 Post by looloog »

Hi,
I get my braces off when my retainer is ready in 2 weeks.
My ortho is making me a retainer (Hawley) with a pontic (a tooth attached to it to fill my gap in the front)
She told me you can chew/eat with it, but Ive heard you cant.
What are your experiences with this?

Thanks.

catbutt

#2 Post by catbutt »

I have a hawley retainer and the instruction sheet that the ortho gave me with it actually said if you don't have your retainer case w/ you when you eat, to just eat with it on. The only reason they say it is trying to prevent you from losing them though :)

My hawley retainer is a little different (i made another thread about it) where my back teeth dont touch so i wouldnt ever be able to eat with it in.

Dark_angel

#3 Post by Dark_angel »

I used to eat with my hawley in, wasnt too bad at all. Im getting essix this time around though so i wont be able too.

FlyingScotsman

#4 Post by FlyingScotsman »

The Hawley I wore at the start of my treatment had to worn when I was eating - it was also correcting my overbite and as such, it was "training" my mouth as i ate and drank. It's perfectly fine to wear it while eating.