do hawley retainers cover the whole roof of your mouth?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

looloog

do hawley retainers cover the whole roof of your mouth?

#1 Post by looloog »

Hi,
Ill be getting my retainer soon, and im reading all sorts of mixed experiences with them.
One question i have is, how much of the upper pallatte (roof) do they cover? Can they be shaved to fit better?

also, since im questioning, how thick are they, and can that be altered???

thanks!

Caroline

#2 Post by Caroline »

Mine does not fit the whole palate. The acrylic lines the entire lingual side, and the retainer has a transpalatal bar at the limit of the hard and soft palate, which does not rest directly on the palate, but ever so close... It's quite comfortable, and it does not give me a claustrophobic feeling whatsoever. Sorry, I can't post pictures, as I am still in the dinosaur ages...

Hope this helped!
Ceramics
Top braced January 7, 2005
Bottom braced February 4, 2005
Tops off July 10, 2006!!!
Bottoms off August 15, 2006!!!

Chris

Re: do hawley retainers cover the whole roof of your mouth?

#3 Post by Chris »

:arrow:
Last edited by Chris on Wed May 30, 2007 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Chris

Re: do hawley retainers cover the whole roof of your mouth?

#4 Post by Chris »

One question i have is, how much of the upper pallatte (roof) do they cover? Can they be shaved to fit better?
also, since im questioning, how thick are they, and can that be altered???
!
I was really concerned that I couldn't handle the hawley because of the acrylic on the palate. Rest assured, when I put it in, it was more comfortable than I could imagine. Really. And I always had that gag reflex when doing molds, so you need not worry. Hawleys can be trimmed with the ortho's electric burr or whatever the thing is called. I can put my tongue to the back of the hawley so its not that far back on the palate.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

jennielee81

#5 Post by jennielee81 »

My upper does not cover the entire pallet either. It is quite comfortable!! Image

I get clausterphobic in a lot of situations, but the retainer doesn't cause that at all.

Relax!!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

jennielee81

#6 Post by jennielee81 »

ACK!!!! Spit!!!

LMAO!! :biglaf:
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Anticipator

#7 Post by Anticipator »

Mine is similar to Jennielee's in coverage. Didn't even request it, though I should've.
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

dodi

Coverage

#8 Post by dodi »

Mine actually goes back a little further, In fact on the LHS it goes to my last molar (the second is an implant) and goes across from thereto the second last molar on the RHS.

So it covers a fail portion of the soft palette - I had to over come a gag reflex when it was first installed.

The lower follows all the teeth of my lower jaw.

I's my second Hawley and it's a lot thicker than the first. My tongue barley has room when I have both in!