a couple of questions (wee bit long with some history)

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ChooChooo

a couple of questions (wee bit long with some history)

#1 Post by ChooChooo »

Hello, I have been in my damon 2's since November '06. I had previously asked my ortho re: temporary debanding for a week, for a holiday in august, he was very non-commital (sp) in his reply, so I figured I would let it go until the next adjustment. Well, at the last adjustment I asked again and he told me (much to my suprised delight) that he would be debanding me early (treatment time was estimated at a year) on July 20 if all the tweaking goes as planned. I had prior to being braced (about 10yrs ago) had some bonding and contouring done on my upper 4 teeth (which my ortho is well aware of as I have asked him at every appointment, when he wants to get rid of the old bonding) and he had always replied, later. Now my question is, if he addresses the bonding on my next appointment on July 9 (10 days before debanding) how on earth can that space that would exist after bonding is removed , even if it is small, come together in 10 days? Could that be corrected with a retainer? He also is planning on doing a frenectomy, which I assume will help with the front top space not returning. Do you think that it is possible he should have addressed these things earlier? I am scared to make too much of an issue of it, as I really want to be debanded for my Aug trip. I know that I will probably need some cosmetic addition like bonding added anyway, due to the extra rounding of my top left tooth (sorry guys, no pics :oops: ) but I was hoping to get rid of the old bonding between the top teeth as the normal spacing of those 2 teeth seems to be not straight, now that everything else is straight :? . Do you think that a powerchain can close the small space in 10 days?
Thanks guys, sorry it is so long :oops:

smile2006

#2 Post by smile2006 »

I would say it depends on how big the space is and how settled your teeth are. My ortho has been tweaking 2 small spaces for the past 2 months. I've been amazed at how fast the spaces have closed with bends in the wire and power chains. However, the teeth need some time to sit in their correct place so the bone can start to solidify around the closed placement of the teeth/tooth. I'm not sure if 10 days is enough to accomplish this. My last space will have been closed 3 weeks and 4 days prior to (hopefully) getting my braces off on July 9th. Because that space closed so quickly with new forces applied, my ortho suggested that bone formation was not there. This a good because the tooth moved quickly (spaced closed quick) but bad because in only a little over three weeks bone formation will not be complete, ideally it takes 6-8 weeks he said. The solution is that we're going with is getting retainers into my mouth immediately. He generally lets the teeth naturally settle 2 weeks without retainers but in my case, I'll get them 3 days after getting my braces removed. So, be cautious I'd say, after going this far it's not the time to take chances.

ChooChooo

#3 Post by ChooChooo »

but why would he de-band me if I wasn't ready? He is a v. good ortho with a good reputation. If the space is fairly small, can a retainer close it?