Braces are off..... new concerns.

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ScarlettRose

Braces are off..... new concerns.

#1 Post by ScarlettRose »

Hi everyone, I'm new obviously. I'm 19. I was braced from November 2004 to just a few days ago (June 20 2007). I was not supposed to wear braces for that long but i kept missing appointments due to school exams and other problems and because my ortho is extremely booked its usually a month or 2 month wait after cancellation. My ortho said- 'We've never had a patient like you, who actually didn't want their braces off!' :lol:

Here is the finished product:

I have bonded lower retainers and upper- i had a gap between my two front teeth and my ortho said the upper will ensure it never comes back.

I've never noticed what my tongue does but reading about tongue thrusting lately has me all paranoid! My question is- if I had this kind of problem, would my orthodontist have noticed it? She never mentioned it once and if i did have it, would it have prolonged treatment? (keep in mind that i was the reason the braces stayed on longer than needed because of my cancellations) Would the tongue have been pushing the teeth if i was a thruster even when the braces are on? Would the orthodontist have been able to tell from looking at my mouth, teeth, and tongue (and x-rays of my teeth and mouth) if I was incorrectly swallowing and putting too much pressure on the front teeth?

bracesmom

#2 Post by bracesmom »

Just have to say you have a movie star smile :D !
Advocating for our nation's waiting children at Adoptive Parents Network

ScarlettRose

#3 Post by ScarlettRose »

Thanks bracesmom :D
And thanks KK for your response too. My treatment went really well and the orthodontist never mentioned any problems,so I think I'm okay.

And yes, people do tryto go in earlier trying to speed things up, but what i was doing was missing my appointments everytime the deband date was set! Thats why she said- We've never had a patient like you who didn't want their braces off!' On deband day people are here right on the dot, haha. I was an 'odd' case because it seemed i didn't want to part with the braces. :wink: