How long did you wait to get molds/retainers?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

smile2006

How long did you wait to get molds/retainers?

#1 Post by smile2006 »

Hello,

I thought I overhead my orthodontist telling another patient that he waits 2 weeks for the teeth to settle after braces are removed to take molds for retainers. This seems like a really long time to wait. Has anyone else had this type of waiting period? Just curious.

Betty Bat

#2 Post by Betty Bat »

For my upper Essex retainer (which is all I've got right now), the brackets came off on Thursday, the molds were taken, and the retainer was ready on Monday. So, that was 4 days and the ortho said he didn't like to wait longer than a few days.

But, I'm only supposed to wear it 24/7 for two weeks, which is a lot shorter time than other folks on the board.

fins

#3 Post by fins »

Two weeks for me.

LynnHowell

#4 Post by LynnHowell »

I had molds taken within seconds of being debanded. If your teeth move within the 2-week time period you're referring to, your molds are going to be of the shifted teeth...as well as the retainers.

I could understand molds being taken if fixed retainers were cemented in right after debanding.

Then again...I'm no ortho. :wink:
Upper Ceramic: 8/13/04
Lower Metal: 01/13/05
Removed: 4/19/07 (finally!)

Retainers:
Upper Clear Hawley
Lower fixed & Essix
Lower fixed removed 7/06/07 (due to a small space). Lower Fuschia Hawley 7/18/07
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.lynnhowell.com

Nikkiekoala

#5 Post by Nikkiekoala »

I have a top essix retainer...molds were taken same day after debanding. I got my essix retainer within 20 mins. My lower retainer is a Hawley, I got it 2 days after debanding/molds.
Two weeks seem kinda long for the molds. They could move a lot before than, then the retainer will be fitted to teeth that have already shifted. Doesn't sound good. I would certainly ask why and point out your concern for having molds taken of teeth that have been moving/moved since debanding.

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/

Dark_angel

#6 Post by Dark_angel »

Im getting my moulds done at the same time my braces are being taken off and having my retainers made the same day, i'll be going to pick them up a frw hours after my debanding.

Aurelia

#7 Post by Aurelia »

My braces are coming off on the 19th June....YIPPEEEE :P The very next day he wants me back in to pick up my essix retainer so I only get one night where I am free of anything!!
All good things come to those that wait

catbutt

#8 Post by catbutt »

my molds were taken 2 weeks BEFORE debanding. i was given the retainers at the debanding.

Anticipator

#9 Post by Anticipator »

My molds were taken the day of debanding and then I had a week wait until my retainers (hawley) arrived.

There was some movement but the retainers quickly addressed the largest relapsing.
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

flipib05

#10 Post by flipib05 »

I got my molds and then had to wait 4 days and then i got debanded.

oceanblue

#11 Post by oceanblue »

I'm supposed to go in for impressions/molds while my braces are still on. Then exactly 2 weeks later I go back to get my braces off. I pick up my retainers the same day, just a few hours later. I'm glad I won't have to wait long for retainers. I don't want these teeth moving anywhere after all this..... :-1
Upper ceramic and lower metal braces
Round #2 - Had braces as a teen for 4 years!
Treatment time: 14 months
Braces on: July 19th, 2006
Bottom braces off: August 29th, 2007
Top braces off: September 19th, 2007
BLWR on bottom and Essix on top!

ScarlettRose

#12 Post by ScarlettRose »

Straight after the braces were off, I had the impressions done and I returned to the office an hour later to pick them up (and got instructions, etc) I'm glad i didnt have to wait any amount of days, i'm the paranoid type. :roll:

SimInsomniac

#13 Post by SimInsomniac »

I will be waiting 6 days until I can get my retainer, which makes me very paranoid that it won't fit. At least it's good to know some people wait up to 2 weeks though.
Damon 3 braces for 22.5 months.
30th August 2005 - 13th July 2007

JumpTheDitch

#14 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Moulds were taken as soon as I was debanded. My ortho provides both essix uppers and lowers (for daytime use) and hawley uppers and lowers (for nighttime use) for his adult patients at no extra cost. Apparently the kids only get the hawleys.

Both retainers were ready 2 days after debanding. He has a regimented schedule for debanding that he doesn't like to deviate from. You go in Monday arvo to get final "squeeze" elastics placed, then debanded Tuesday morning, then both sets of retainers fitted Thursday morning.

betharoo

#15 Post by betharoo »

I'm actually having my molds done and retainer made a month before my braces actually come off...my ortho told me where i live it takes 2-3 weeks for it to get here, so i have to have made then i get my braces off.