bonded retainers on top + unrelated picture

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

oceanblue

bonded retainers on top + unrelated picture

#1 Post by oceanblue »

Hi guys! I think I'm getting close to retainer time. My ortho said something about a bonded lower retainer for sure and maybe a bonded retainer for just my top two front teeth. Is that strange - to have a bonded upper on only two teeth? I wonder if I ask him for a different retainer option if he will go for it?

My teeth!
Last edited by oceanblue on Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Upper ceramic and lower metal braces
Round #2 - Had braces as a teen for 4 years!
Treatment time: 14 months
Braces on: July 19th, 2006
Bottom braces off: August 29th, 2007
Top braces off: September 19th, 2007
BLWR on bottom and Essix on top!

oceanblue

#2 Post by oceanblue »

Oh, okay Karen! Thanks for the info about cropping pictures! Will do next time! :lol:

jennielee81

#3 Post by jennielee81 »

Did you have a gap between those from teeth?

It is not uncommon for an ortho to bond a retainer on the two centrals to prevent them from gapping again.

My ortho was bonding an upper on a teen when I was in once because his upper centrals kept seperating.

Sorry I missed you picture.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

oceanblue

#4 Post by oceanblue »

Jennielee - Nope I had no gap between my two front teeth. They were actually pretty perfect but the way the ortho placed the brackets caused my right front tooth to move up into my gumline and tip inward. They finally took that bracket off and put another one on in a different spot and eventually things went back to normal. Yeah, so, I don't know....

mtbrncofn

#5 Post by mtbrncofn »

I did have the big gap and also the bonded retainer for just those 2 teeth. It was great. Very non-intrusive.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

ScarlettRose

#6 Post by ScarlettRose »

I have an upper bonded retainer- due to a gap in between my front teeth pre-braces. But the wire is across 4 teeth- two front ones, and the laterals beside them.

The orthodontist said- 'this will ensure the teeth dont move anywhere' and that was very comforting! :wink: