Big teeth, and excess saliva

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ScarlettRose

Big teeth, and excess saliva

#1 Post by ScarlettRose »

When you had your braces off and saw your teeth for the first time, did they look huge to you? For 2 days my teeth seemed big and only just now after being out of braces for 6 days, are they looking normal sized again ;) Its funny how they can appear like that because we haven't seen our teeth for so long. :shock:

And this is a question for people in the Essix retainers especially- have you noticed an excess amount of saliva? I only wear my mine at night but when i take them out of a morning they are filled with saliva. Also, can the bonded permanent retainers be a cause of the excess saliva too?

2oldtocare

Saliva

#2 Post by 2oldtocare »

I had my braces off last Wednesday, and they gave me an Essix like retainer for just one week, till my Hawley was ready. I got the Hawley today. Boy am I glad. Other than getting used to speaking again, I at least don't have the feeling that I'm drowning!!
With the Essix, the saliva just kept building up in it, and I was constantly kind of sucking on it to clear it. And when you rinse it out and put it back in, there was always water down in the tooth area. I also like being able to drink my coffee or tea, without taking the Hawley out. Maybe if you have it for a longer period of time it will be better. ? :?

ScarlettRose

#3 Post by ScarlettRose »

Its getting better.
I'm not complaining too much because some people have to wear it 24/7, i only wear it at night and have free teeth all day long :)

ScarlettRose

#4 Post by ScarlettRose »

Its getting better.
I'm not complaining too much because some people have to wear it 24/7, i only wear it at night and have free teeth all day long :)