A question about the retainer (Essix)

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ScarlettRose

A question about the retainer (Essix)

#1 Post by ScarlettRose »

Hi everyone,
I've been brace free since June 21st- i love it. My orthodontist asked me if I actually missed braces, and my reply was Hell no! Its funny how when I had them on i didn't mind them, but now that they're gone and i can see my teeth again, I DO mind them :o

Anyway my question is about the Essix- Is the retainer supposed to feel tight? Mine doesn't. It fits on my teeth but it doesn't have tightness- like the feeling when braces are tightened. Is this right? My friends Dad is a retired orthodontist and he said that if its tight its not good, because that means the teeth have been moving too much during the day. I only wear my retainers at night because i have bonded retainers top and bottom, and my ortho only said 'at night only'.

So how is the retainer supposed to feel?

Thanks. I dont go back to my ortho until the 15th of August and I want some peace of mind. :wink:

Oh, and i had a small gap- basically just a thin line between my 2 front teeth prior to braces, i have the bonded retainer, but tonight i noticed in my bathroom mirror that it's almost back. I could also push it and it disappeared, but isn't the permanent retainer supposed to keep that 'line' closed!? Isn't that the purpose of it?

smileygirly

#2 Post by smileygirly »

when i got my essix, it was so tight, it fit like a suction cup----i had trouble taking it off:) then after a day or two it got considerably looser....i think as long as your teeth aren't moving A LOT, you should be fine. I prefer the hawley because it keeps everything aligned, and doesn't loosen so easliy:) as for your bonded retainer issue, talk to your doctor. he/she should know what to do)