How long did you wait to get molds/retainers?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SimInsomniac

#16 Post by SimInsomniac »

I will be waiting 6 days until I can get my retainer, which makes me very paranoid that it won't fit. At least it's good to know some people wait up to 2 weeks though.
Damon 3 braces for 22.5 months.
30th August 2005 - 13th July 2007

JumpTheDitch

#17 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Moulds were taken as soon as I was debanded. My ortho provides both essix uppers and lowers (for daytime use) and hawley uppers and lowers (for nighttime use) for his adult patients at no extra cost. Apparently the kids only get the hawleys.

Both retainers were ready 2 days after debanding. He has a regimented schedule for debanding that he doesn't like to deviate from. You go in Monday arvo to get final "squeeze" elastics placed, then debanded Tuesday morning, then both sets of retainers fitted Thursday morning.

betharoo

#18 Post by betharoo »

I'm actually having my molds done and retainer made a month before my braces actually come off...my ortho told me where i live it takes 2-3 weeks for it to get here, so i have to have made then i get my braces off.

Granola

#19 Post by Granola »

I had the impression for my lower bonded retainer taken at my last adjustment, so it will be placed right after debonding. The impression for my Essix-type retainer will be taken after I'm debonded -- I'll pick it up a few hours later (I'm very happy that I won't have to wait even a day for it).
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

JoviFan

#20 Post by JoviFan »

I was just wondering this myself!!!! Mine will be 7 days after I get debanded and I'm nervous about movement (I didn't even think about asking about this :( - maybe I'll call them...
I believe they take the mold after I'm debanded...and then go to 'get fitted' a week later....it will be a clear thin one, essix I think.....and they may put something cuz I tend to grind my teeth...
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

alexa

#21 Post by alexa »

I finally get to weigh in on the subject of retainers and molds! Huzzah! 8)

My ortho did it a lot like Meryaten's. We decided today that we were going to move on and get me debanded. They clipped the wire just before my molars and then debanded all of my back teeth. Then, they took impressions for retainers. Finally, they put a new powerchain across my top teeth and single ligs on the bottom.

I will be debanded in two weeks, by which time my hawleys and night guard should have come back from the lab.
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

materialsgirl

#22 Post by materialsgirl »

Just got my braces off today. They took impressions right after the braces came off in the morning, then I went back in the afternoon (8 hours later) and got my fixed retainer on the bottom, and Essix retainer for the top.

So, short answer - same day. :)

MegoLego

#23 Post by MegoLego »

I just got my top braces taken off yesterday(July 20th) and they took the molds. And I will be picking up my clear essix next Friday(July 27th).Then then next Tuesday(July 31st) ill will get my bottom braces off, and I will get my bonded bottom retainer.

strugglebuggy

#24 Post by strugglebuggy »

I haven't had my braces off yet, but my scheduled times tell me that the braces come off, molds are taken at the same time and I go back in two weeks to get my retainers.

nvcarissa

#25 Post by nvcarissa »

I got debanded yesterday, molds taken yesterday. Go back for retainer on Tuesday.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

kelly12300

#26 Post by kelly12300 »

I had the molds taken as soon as I had my braces off and had my retainer about a week later I think. It wasn't any longer than that.
~*~Kelly~*~