Permanent Retainer (Picture!)

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jennielee81

#16 Post by jennielee81 »

Not rediculous at all, it can be both at the same time!

I'm not sure if this is what your ortho is planning, but it is possible. :wink:
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

payoki

question.

#17 Post by payoki »

why does one have to wear permanent retainer? my braces are coming off next week but I don't know what kind of retainer I'll be getting..
permanent retainer looks very inconvenient.
mother of one.

str8teeth

#18 Post by str8teeth »

They often do permanent ones on the bottom because bottom teeth are much more likely to move over time. In addition, many people do not continue to wear their retainers as they should. I spoke to my ortho about it and he was happy to agree to give me the removable on the top and bottom. When I get my braces off, after wearing the retainers all of the time for the first few months, he said that I should plan to wear them at least one night a week or slighly less for the rest of my life to ensure that my teeth never move. That is no big deal for me, as I'd continue to wear the top one like that anyway, so I'm very very happy that I won't have a permanent bottom one to worry about flossing and brushing...and that would probably bother me.
I'm planning to post all of my orthodontic photos to SmugMug. If you are interested in opening an account with SmugMug (which I highly recommend), enter my referral coupon code of 70duJYrJFlNyQ for $5 off the cost of their service. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you may have. Enjoy, and let me know what you think.