Broken Ratainer

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

IntentionallyBlank

Broken Ratainer

#1 Post by IntentionallyBlank »

Agggh!! I just broke my retainer!! I'm visiting my parents for the weekend and their taps (faucets) are the other way around so I inadvertently washed it in hot water. :roll:

It snapped in half! :oops:

I have just tried to super-glue it together but haven't tried it in my mouth yet. As its late Saturday here I wont be able to get to an ortho until Monday. And to make matter worse I've just moved outta town to a different City. I'm thinking I'll have to look up on Google for orthos nearby and explain my situation.

Has this happened to anyone else? Has anyone any advice?

IB in Belfast, Northern Ireland
"There is no dark side of the moon, as a matter of fact... it's all dark."

Chris

#2 Post by Chris »

I don't know if it's advisable to wear your repaired retainer - if it's slightly off I wonder if it could potentially do more harm than good ... just a thought.
I cut my own to avoid my implant site so I have 3/4 of an essix retainer. Its done a good job keeping the other teeth in line. :D I didn't have much choice while my implants were healing.

As for your situation, you should be fine until to see another ortho and they can make another one (the sooner the better of course). Some orthos make the essix in office. I'd call around and ask.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

payoki

#3 Post by payoki »

I just got my retainer last friday.
thank you for sharing your story.
I was not given any kind of instruction so I didn't evey know that you're not suppose to wash in hot water. Is cold water okay?
mother of one.

Chris

#4 Post by Chris »

With an essix retainer, hot water is a big no-no. Its easy to forget you even have them on and may drink hot coffee or tea... :roll: again, big no-no. Luke warm or cold water washing. Same thing with the hawley retainer although with that you can drink hot liquids.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

IntentionallyBlank

UPDATE

#5 Post by IntentionallyBlank »

hi,

just to let you know whats happening re my broken Essix. I was telephopning round a lot of orthos in Glasgow on monday and very few said they'd be able to fit me in for an appointment and suggested I called the the local Dental Hospital.

One Ortho said they could fit me in and it would cost £60 for a consultation and £45 for a replacement retainer (£105 = $210USD)!!! My own ortho back in Belfast said i should expect to pay in the region of £35 - £50 for one coz thats what they would charge.

The hospital were able to fit me in this morning. they took a mould of my bite and said the new retainer would be ready on friday afternoon. Its being done on the NHS so total cost to me = £0 (which is roughly zero US Dollars). 8)

In the meantime i have been wearing my repaired retainer at nights. Seems to be doing the trick and it fits fine. The ortho said I had done a good job in repairing it but he didnt expect it to last for long. It will do as a 'spare'.

I'll definately have to take care of my new Essix better. Th reasons that I think caused it to break so soon after getting it are...

1. Eating with it in - NEVER ever eat. I had eaten some soft things that I didnt think would matter. It does matter!

2. Fizzy drinks and hot drinks will damage it

3. Brushing with a toothbrush will scratch it and weaken it. Use retainer brite only

4. Wash only only in Cold water. I knew this, but accidently washed in hot water (well, luke warm) which was th straw that broke the retainer's back.

IB
"There is no dark side of the moon, as a matter of fact... it's all dark."