Extractions post-braces

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jetgirl

Extractions post-braces

#1 Post by Jetgirl »

Hey all! I used to be a regular around these parts, but not so much recently. I got my braces off two years ago. I wore my hawley retainers religiously for about a year afterwards, but fell into some bad habits after that.

Just this past week I had all 3 of my wisdom teeth out. They were fully erupted, so it wasn't a big ordeal. I noticed my top teeth were shifting quite a bit within a couple days, though. I pulled out my retainers, and while they were a tight fit initially it seems that my teeth are moving enough that everything has shifted back to fit the retainers quite well after just a couple hours of wearing them.

I've decided that I'm going to go ahead and make an appointment with my orthodontist just to have everything checked and see what my options are for adjusting my retainers, etc. I also wanted to ask if anyone else has gone through this, and if so what degree of shifting did you see? Would it be worth my time to ask about getting bonded retainers after this?

Thanks guys!
Braces on: June 2003
Braces off: June 2005

Pictures of my braces journey