Retainer Brite for Hawley

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sarah22

Retainer Brite for Hawley

#1 Post by Sarah22 »

Hi forgot to ask in my last post, how long do people leave their Hawley retainers in the Retainer Brite solution? It says on the pack 10 mins but 5 mins for "wire appliances"..... is this long enough do you think to clean?

Sarah22

#2 Post by Sarah22 »

Meryaten wrote:Due to Lynn's warnings, I rarely use RB for my Hawleys - almost never for the one with solder points. I'm managing to keep them in nice shape just with regular brushing. I do keep a separate brush for the retainers though, as I find them to be a bit tough on brushes.

The rare occasions where I do let them see RB, it is probably not even for as much as 5 minutes.

Thanks Meryaten, but what are Lynn's warnings about Retainer Brite? Don't want to damage by brand new Hawley

ilovemacs

#3 Post by ilovemacs »

That doesn't sound too good! :shock: :?

Sarah22

#4 Post by Sarah22 »

Humm, ok, well I don't seem to have any solder points.... Dunno what to do now, I've just bought a pack so may just give them a go for a few days more and watch for any tiny signs of damage or weakness.

I checked some websites selling the stuff and they all seem to promote its use for any retainer - for an example - http://www.smileshop.com/orstore/showit ... ID=RB-368c

ilovemacs

#5 Post by ilovemacs »

I'd say just to be sure what he/ she recommends call your ortho. Just to be on the safe side, they’d be happy to answer any questions I'm sure! :D

bbsadmin

#6 Post by bbsadmin »

If your retainer does NOT have solder points, then Retainer Brite and/or SonicBrite work just fine. I have forgotten to take my retainer out of the Retainer Brite or SonicBrite sometimes for hours and no harm is ever done. Please note that my retainer does NOT contain solder.

But if your retainer contains solder, it's a different story. There are no commercial retainer cleaners on the market right now that do not affect the solder. Over time, the retainer cleaners (as well as denture cleaning tablets) will make the solder crumble and dissolve. I know that other websites don't say this. IMO, they SHOULD mention it. I suppose they don't want to draw attention to the any negatives about the product to prevent a sale.

How do I know about this? From personal experience. When I first got my Hawley retainers several years ago, they DID contain an extra part that was soldered on, just like Meryaten's photo. After about 2 weeks using Retainer Brite (soaking 10 minutes each time), the solder crumbled and the extra part fell off! Fortunately, my Orthodontist told me that the extra part wasn't really necessary. He smoothed off the rest of the remaining solder and gave me back my retainers. Phew!

That's why I have some wording on the Retainer Brite and SonicBrite product pages at DentaKit.com that tells people not to use the products if their retainers contain solder points. I don't want that happening to other people. And as a merchant selling the products, I certainly do not want to be responsible for people potentially ruining a $250 dental appliance.

If you're not sure, you should always ask your orthodontist what he or she recommends.

If your retainer contains solder, the best way to clean it is with a toothbrush and some toothpaste. You could also ask your Orthodontist if the soldered on parts are 100% necessary. Because if they aren't (as it was in my case), then you could have them taken off.

-Lynn
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!