Pain in getting braces removed?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LynnHowell

#46 Post by LynnHowell »

It didn't hurt when mine were removed. I used Sensodyne toothpaste a few days leading up to the removal. I'm not sure if that helped any, but it may have.

I think by the time you're ready for debanding, you've been through so much that it's like a walk in the park. PLUS--you're almost free!
Upper Ceramic: 8/13/04
Lower Metal: 01/13/05
Removed: 4/19/07 (finally!)

Retainers:
Upper Clear Hawley
Lower fixed & Essix
Lower fixed removed 7/06/07 (due to a small space). Lower Fuschia Hawley 7/18/07
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.lynnhowell.com

Betty Bat

#47 Post by Betty Bat »

I had a little bit of trouble when my uppers came off on April 19. I had no problem with the metal (back) brackets - the assistant took those off. The ortho took off my sapphire (clear) brackets. I did bite on a wax block, as some of the other posters have mentioned. The bracket on my left front tooth just didn't want to come off - he was pushing fairly hard and eventually, I started making some whiny noises. It was more an issue of pressure than pain. So, he said that he could grind the last bracket off while he was doing the polishing. Which he did, with no other problems. And, I went to my regular dentist for a cleaning a week later, the assistant there commented on what a nice job the ortho did in cleaning everything up.

After my uppers came off, I didn't wear anything up top for 3 glorious days. Then I got my retainer. I did notice that my front tooth was a little sensitive for about 4 or 5 days after the brackets came off. But, I've had a similar sensitivity more than once - my Damon doors stuck and sometimes it took both the assistant and the ortho pushing on my mouth to get them all closed!

It's not a bad pain - it just feels like someone is pushing on your face.

Serenity

#48 Post by Serenity »

I felt pressure that's all. When they removed the bands around the molars there was this awful smell (I know gross) I have good oral hygiene but I guess some bacteria still was around those areas with the bands.

When they scraped the cement/glue whatever off I was told that if my teeth felt extremely cold at any time to raise my hand. It didn't bother me I just thought of pleasant things and not what was going on at the time.

bracedintx

#49 Post by bracedintx »

I just had 6 brackets repositioned the other week. I have metal brackets. The ones on the molars were fine but when the assistant tried to remove the ones off the top #2s it was incredibly painful and they weren't coming off. I burst into tears and she had to wait...so after we laughed about it she had to go back and finish. She said it was so painful because the teeth are still moving. When they deband a) the teeth are a bit more settled, b) they leave the wire on so there is more support. Like others have said, I told her that I didn't want to get them off if they were all going to hurt like that! :paperbag:
self-ligating metal brackets all around

momof2grlz

#50 Post by momof2grlz »

I had a combination of 3M Clarity ceramics and metal that were removed today. YEA!! None of mine hurt at all being removed and none of the ceramic brackets broke. YIPPEE. Grinding off the adhesive was a little unnerving, but it didn't hurt. All in all the removal process was much easier than I anticipated.

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

mtbrncofn

#51 Post by mtbrncofn »

Congrats!! How exciting for you!
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

catbutt

#52 Post by catbutt »

I just got my braces off today!!

None of the metal or ceramic brakets hurt coming off. None of the ceramic brakets broke either. A couple of the molar bands really didn't want to come off. It did hurt some when the assistant was trying to get them off. A few really stubborn ones the orthodontist was able to get off easy without pain. But there was one they were about to get the molar band splitters out, and the ortho finally got it off. That didn't hurt so much as there was alot of pressure. It seemed like the assistant was twisting/pulling at the wrong angles which made it hurt.

But that's all over and everything feels fine now!!

catbutt

#53 Post by catbutt »

catbutt wrote:But that's all over and everything feels fine now!!
I take this back. I am totally sore now from wearing this retainer all day! And I feel like a football player or something with this huge retainer wedged in my mouth. I can't talk at all.

catbutt

#54 Post by catbutt »

thanks! but i just like to complain, hehe. i am actually totally happy about getting my braces off. completely worth the pain :)

payoki

#55 Post by payoki »

i had four removed to extract my biscups and didn't feel a thing...
mother of one.

Cindy

Removal pain

#56 Post by Cindy »

My removal process (last month) was the most painful part of all. I had ceramic brackets and several sensitive teeth, so the pulling, popping, and grinding was very painful. I was in tears, and the assistant had to stop several times to give me a break from it. I felt like such a wimp as a full-grown, thirty-something woman crying in the chair. A couple of brackets were very stubborn, and the ortho herself had to step in to remove them. She apologized several times for my discomfort, and said it was unusual for it to be so painful. I don't think most people suffer that much, but it's not a painless procedure for everyone.

Cindy

Pear

#57 Post by Pear »

Hi all, I got my braces off today and discovered this forum today also. Wish I had found it sooner I have to say. I didn't know any other adults with braces and it would have been nice to have a chat with someone in the same situation. Its not too common for adults to have them here (Ireland) I think.

So today.. Cindy I can identify with you. I had ceramic on the top, metal on bottom. I found it incredibly painful. Not wishing to scare those who have it ahead of them but it was by far the worst part of the last 3 years. Felt like my teeth were going to snap, and getting the metal wraparound thingies off the back teeth felt like I was getting the teeth pulled without anaesthetic. There were tears and I had to stop a few times.

My ortho was lovely, no fault on her part and I know she was as gentle as she could be. Would def recommend couple of painkillers beforehand.

Have the essix retainers in now which are hurting my teeth. Is this normal those in the know? Pain goes away after they come out for half an hour or so.

Anyhoo nice to meet you all.

Ps have lovely smooth straight teeth and is worth it, i keep trying out smiles in mirror.

JumpTheDitch

#58 Post by JumpTheDitch »

I think Meryaten hit the nail on the head; your level of discomfort or pain must surely be related at least partly to how much your teeth have been moved just prior to debanding. Think how sensitive your teeth get after some adjustments and imagine your brackets and bands being squeezed, pulled or tugged off the next day! :soremouth:

Debanding hurt. Quite a bit. I think this was due mostly (if not entirely) on the fact that my teeth were very sore from having been "squeezed" the night before. My ortho has a strange (and as far as I can tell, unique) ritual for debanding eve that he calls a "squeeze". Apparently the plan is to ensure your bite is tight. The night before debanding you have to go into the office and have 6 tight elastics wound around, over and through your brackets and bands:

Your teeth are then shut tight for the next 16-18 hours. They told me I would be able to open my mouth wide enough to drink soup, etc through a straw or fit a panadol, etc through for pain relief etc. Porky Pies. :evil: I couldn't prise my teeth apart at all. Having been warned not to break any of the elastics under any circumstances, any panadol had to be pushed along the gum inside the cheek and up around the back end of the gum so I could swallow it! :x

Not nice and needless to say not much sleep to be had. Personally I found the notion of being unable to open my mouth or speak quite distressing.

By the time I got into the chair to be debanded my poor teeth were very sore. So pulling, tugging, twisting and dragging at them to remove metal hurt.

Nice to get the braces off but there was no dancing down the street like I had expected :( .

JumpTheDitch

#59 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Tell me about it! :x

And they seem genuinely surprised when I arrived for debanding day and they said "you don't look very happy with us!"....

JumpTheDitch

#60 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Thanks KK, its very nice to have my mouth back, or at least to be able to quickly whenever I need to!

Good luck with the rest of your treatment, it won't be too long now before we're reading your debanding tale :thumbsup: