Want to smooth-up retainer

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

genxsis

Want to smooth-up retainer

#1 Post by genxsis »

Braces off yesterday, retainers on last night, questions today.....

My retainers are the plastic type. I have to wear them only at night. The lower one's edge is kind of sharp and really scrapes the inside of my mouth when I move my lower lip. I was wondering if anyone here ever tried to smooth up the edges of these things, like with sandpaper or something??? Or is that wise? I'd hate to ruin one of them the day after getting it. That would be pretty embarrasing! :oops:
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

SDFD TSchott

#2 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I Would suggest going into your orthodontist office and tell them of the situation and let them deal with it.... it's best for them to alter the retainer then you altering it and messing something up.

~Tim~

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

jennielee81

#3 Post by jennielee81 »

Not knowing exactly where the problem is and how big the offensive area is I hesitate to give you advice to sand it down.

I had an essex type lower for serveral months and I did use an emory board to smooth a pointy spot.

I would say see if there is a point or a burr on it that is causing the problem, if that's the case sand lightly until the sharp part is gone. If it's a large edge that is rubbing, take it back into the ortho's office and have them trim it.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm