how are brackets taken off?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ekin

how are brackets taken off?

#1 Post by ekin »

for those of you who have had your braces taken off, how are the brackets removed? A friend told me they just pinch the bracket and it comes off, is this true?

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

Metal brackets snap off fairly easily. Ceramics require a bit more force, I had to bite down on something to steady the tooth while they removed these.

ghostmyimag3

#3 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

My uppers were taken off 2 days ago. The metal brackets came of fairly quickly. It wasn't that bad, not what the mind expects. Even the molar bands i had came off very quickly. The whole process was painless.

The tool he used to get my brackets off looked like what they pierce ears with, it just sorta grabbed and broke the bond. The molar bands, he clipped on the inside and they just came off.

The worst part to me was the removal of the glue, the sound of that drill is annoying and the smell of the glue is terrible, but it was not bad all in all.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

regulering17

#4 Post by regulering17 »

Interesting!
I've been thinking, If getting the braces off were horribly painful, I would dare that day so much, so then time would go by really quickly, because I would be so scared to get them off. Hehe. You see? Reverse pscyology, or whatever they call it. Hm, so I'll try that. I'll try to convince myself it is going to be awful, so that I won't look forward to it.
Haha sorry about this guys:P Talking to myself, well writing to myself. A little better, but nearly
Braces on: March 6th 2007
Both upper and lower metals
Been in braces for: 1 year 15 days
Next adjustment: Feb. 28th- 08
my braces log: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... ht=#227971