Debrace Date, Feb 19th!!!!!!!! Retainer Question.- Pic's

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Mmmmuuaa

Debrace Date, Feb 19th!!!!!!!! Retainer Question.- Pic's

#1 Post by Mmmmuuaa »

Hey Everyone! I had my LAST adjustment on Jan. 10! Yea. I have my debrace date finally. I get my braces removed Feb. 16th. I'm so very excited. Anyway I have a choice to make and I'll ask you for your opinion here.

a. I can pick either a clear retainer (essix type, don't know the name brand my ortho uses) for top and bottom. or...

b. I can pick clear for top and have a wire on the bottom behind my teeth.

Right now I'm leaning to having retainer top and wire bottom because I think in the long run it will be better to have the wire in permanently and also I'd be worried how it would feel talking and such with two retainers in and them clicking together.

What have your experiences been?

Anyway here are some pic.'s.

Brace Day

15 Months
Last edited by Mmmmuuaa on Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

SinOnYourLips

#2 Post by SinOnYourLips »

Mmmmuuaa, I can't give you advice on the retainers yet, since I myself am still in braces, but just wanted to say amazing results and great teeth! Congrats! :D

Estimated Treatment Time: 12 months to life

Jillianleab

#3 Post by Jillianleab »

First a big CONGRATS! :thumbsup:

I have essix on the top and bottom, and they don't bother me at all. I don't have any problems with my speech after they're in for an hour or so (my instructions are for nights only) and I've never noticed the "clicking sound" either. My husband doesn't even notice when I put them in. I do know the sound you mean; I know someone who is in Invisalign and she "clicks" when she talks.

So my opinion is to go for essix on top and bottom - but I can't say that with too much authority, because that's all I've ever had! I'm sure whatever you pick you will get used to it and be wonderfully fabulously thrilled with your new smile!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

hopelessjen

#4 Post by hopelessjen »

I have the combo and so far (after only two days) I've had no complaints. I like that I only have to worry about losing/destroying one removable retainer and flossing only takes an extra 2 seconds to thread under the wire.

Mmmmuuaa

#5 Post by Mmmmuuaa »

Thanks everyone for your advice! I still have a few weeks before I have to decide, thankfully. I just want to make an informed decision. I'd hate to have my teeth shift after spending 16+ months in braces and spending all that money. I actually had a dream last night that the wire came out of my braces and I forgot to get it replaced and my teeth all shifted and sank down into my gums! :yikes: I was SO relieved when I woke up. Guess it's been on my mind more than I thought!

mariahfromchicago

#6 Post by mariahfromchicago »

your teeth have comea long way since brace day!!! :)
- mariah :heart:

NazarioF

Gorgeous !

#7 Post by NazarioF »

Wow your teeth look gorgeous! I wish mine had turned out that well. I have only had mine full braces since April '07 and they come off just days before yours do, Feb. 11. Good luck with the retainers.
Francesca

Mmmmuuaa

#8 Post by Mmmmuuaa »

Thanks Mariah! :)

Thanks Franseca, and congrats on getting debraced! I'm sure your teeth also look amazing!

Cinnamon

#9 Post by Cinnamon »

WOW!! Your teeth look fabulous!! Congrats on your upcoming debracing! :-88 Let us know how it went and what retainers you went with.

Click on Wonder Woman to go to my braces story Image

*Denise*

#10 Post by *Denise* »

Your teeth looks very nice and clean! :)