A leak-proof retainer case?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

brazilianhottie

A leak-proof retainer case?

#1 Post by brazilianhottie »

Dear all!
Can't complain enough of my bulky retainer case that leaks water!
My ortho says I need to keep it in water(only wearing it at night these days) . Have you tried carrying that case with water in it in your purse (as in not spending the night at your place :), you know, that's why we got the braces in the first place :)) ? It leaks! ANd the container is a big one. I bought the supposedly leak-proof retainer/denture container.

Any recommendations? Thank you!!! Googled it for over an hour. Most of the cases have airation holes in them (!!!)

Before: gap on top Image
and slightly overcrowding on bottom (arch)

First day of braces: Image

After: Image

Braces: Nov 2003-Jan 2004 at the age of 27
Retainer: permanent on bottom, removeable on top,
Wore all the time for 1/2 year, now only nights.

Additional corrections: Lateralization of canines with laminates

bbsadmin

#2 Post by bbsadmin »

Hi there, see my PM to you! :o

I'm not sure why your ortho told you that your retainer must be kept wet all the time. I'm checking with the owner of a lab that makes retainers to ask about this.

In the mean time, I think what you need is a small plastic container (tupperware, rubbermade, etc), and not a retainer case. There are no retainer cases that I know of that were meant to transport retainers AND water for travel. Most of them are either for soaking/cleaning a retainer or aligner on your countertop, or transporting them dry. A rubbermade-type container with a tight-fitting lid would be your best choice, IMO. For extra protection from leaks into your purse, you might want to put the whole thing into a plastic zipper bag. If you travel on an airplane, the air pressure changes sometimes make even the most well-sealed liquid leak its contents.

Has anyone else been told to keep their retainer wet when it is not in your mouth?
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

brazilianhottie

Ideas for new products

#3 Post by brazilianhottie »

Hi, it seems like you have connections in this industry.

Here are ideas for new products that you can run by your contacts and hopefully they'd find them useful and introduce them on the market.

1) Leakproof slim retainer container.
Actuaally a marketing study was done by Univ of Boston ( i found it in my extensive google search for a good retainer case) so they'd know what's the demand.
Here's their description from
people.bu.edu/sm323/Project-related/ Archive_of_SM323_Database_Student_Version.xls:
The Retainer Container is a unique leak-proof retainer case simliar to size and appearance of a flip cell phone. It contains a strainer-like plastic basket, which allows the user to easily remove the retainer from its case. The Retainer Container is meant to be used with Hint O' Mint, the first antibacterial retainer-safe cleaning liquid. The user will pour a capful of Hint O' Mint into the case and shake it to clean the retainer, leaving it with a minty fresh taste.

2) Non-individually wrapped retainer cleaner tablets. I want the tablets in a container from which I can just pop a tablet into the bath. I hate that every night i need to disconnect each tablet, then tear it and after the little pieces fly off in all directions, get them into the bath ... We certainly need the individually wrapped tablets but also the container that sits on your sink next to the retainer bath.

Thanks!
If you people out there like the idea, drop a line!
Before
Gap on top, overcrowding on the bottom
First day of treatment
After
Braces: 11/03-1/04, was 27
Retainer: permanent on bottom, removeable on top + splint for the gap.
Additional corrections: Lateralization of canines with laminates and some whitening

youngone22

#4 Post by youngone22 »

Hi!
I know that this post about the Retainer Container is older, but I was just wondering where I can purchase this?

Please advise...thanks so much!

starryadora

#5 Post by starryadora »

never heard of the water thing before...that's news to me!

*~Currently retained in:
-Upper and Lower bonded retainers
-Upper QCM Hawley
-Damon Splint (night)
-Postitioner (as needed)

~*Orthodontic Assistant*~