Please help!!! tooth shifting...Please reply

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

vanity68

Please help!!! tooth shifting...Please reply

#1 Post by vanity68 »

I wear my retainers every night, had my braces off over a year ago...my wired one on the bottom and usually the essex, sometimes vice versa..the one front bottom tooth is turning a bit..can the wire retainer be tightened to move it back into place??? I am so upset....please reply!!
Sasha

Top ceramics on 10/14/04

Dreamer

#2 Post by Dreamer »

They can roate a tooth with a Hawley retainer! I'd call and make an appt right away before it gets any worse!
full metal braces 4/26/05~~debanded 12/13/07!
12/13/07 bonded retainers + wrap around hawley

Stich

#3 Post by Stich »

I just went in Thursday for a retainer check and one of my top front eye teeth is starting to rotate back to it's original problem, too, even with dilegent retainer wear. My ortho made some adjustments to my retainer (it is alot tighter!) and put alittle bend in the wire where that tooth is to try and push it back. I think it is already starting to get alittle better. I have to go back in 8 weeks to see if this is correcting the problem. So, yes, go in and see your ortho.

Becky

vanity68

#4 Post by vanity68 »

Thank you both..i feel better..she is in on Tuesday..I will try to see her then to adust it..I thought it could be done with the plastic wired retainer..thanks again!!

Sasha
Sasha

Top ceramics on 10/14/04

Chris

#5 Post by Chris »

Just be aware that when you go to an "active" retainer, in other words you want to move a tooth, like with a bend or spring, then you will most likely have to wear the retainer 24/7 for a while until the tooth is settled in the bone, because wearing it only at night will cause it to move back during the day. Been there. :roll:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Dreamer

#6 Post by Dreamer »

Chris....what's the amount of time it takes for a tooth to settle into the bone after being moved with a retainer?
Vanity68: the acrylic with the wire is the Hawley! :)

Chris

#7 Post by Chris »

Chris....what's the amount of time it takes for a tooth to settle into the bone after being moved with a retainer?
I wish I knew the answer to that one, I figure 3-6 months, but thats a guess. You'll have to ask your ortho that one. If you leave the retainer out for half a day and see that its moved again, you'll know its not "set".
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Dreamer

#8 Post by Dreamer »

I just recently got the wrap around Hawleys (top and bottom..boy is it a mouthful!) and it closed my gaps up overnight but she said I only had to wear them for 3 months..I just worry that is not nearly long enough! I do have the bonded top and bottom retainers as well but I had gaps in a few teeth that weren't in the bonded retainer until I got these Hawleys. I guess I still struggle with my ortho's philosophy that I only need to have the bonded ones and that the rest will stay in tact after 3 months.

vanity68

#9 Post by vanity68 »

Dreamer..I know...i get confused cause I wear the clear plastic ones too..the essex? I am not good with the names..lol
Sasha

Top ceramics on 10/14/04