retainers and gagging

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

barbienightmare

retainers and gagging

#1 Post by barbienightmare »

I had my lower teeth de-braced last weekend and have a wire retainer bonded behind the teeth , no problem .. really happy ,
Today I had my upper teeth debonded and got my retainer ... I can't bear it!!
I cant stop gagging , it feels awful .
you would think I would be over the moon about getting de-braced but I'm
really struggling and feeling down.
For the first time through all the dental , oral surgery and orthodontal teatment I have had so far , all the aches and grummbles Ive had have been pretty plain sailing pretty much, none of them have reduced me to tears ....but this has , a few times today already.

the first thing I did when I got in the car is burt in to tears and gag a bit more :(
Im not a complainer and tend to get on with things normally , grit and bear it through things and cope with discomfort and pain pretty well

but this ! :(
Think its going to take a lot of getting used too,
Im so fed up , today was ment to be 'The moment' ... :cry:

Im not sure what te exact name is for the type of retainer I have but the image is as ner to it as I could find on google
|The Ortho said it was designed to keep my teeth at the back slightly apart to help stop my bite being too deep .(not sure if that reads right but sure you get mydrift )

anyway I hacked off and feeling blue

SnowSara

#2 Post by SnowSara »

Oh no!

First of all, your avatar made me laugh out loud! :lol:

Bummer that its causing you such trouble! I have a different type of retainer (essix style, sort of like an invisalign tray, the plastic covers all of my teeth but not the roof of my mouth), but it was an adjustment as well. Hopefully someone with your type of retainer will be able to offer some solid advice. Maybe your ortho would be willing to switch you out to my type of retainer instead if things don't improve? I would like to think they will though once your mouth gets used to this new foreign object.

Uggh girl, I hate that gag reflex feeling, you poor thing!

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

Dreamer

#3 Post by Dreamer »

(((Barbie))) Aww, yes it is a bit of a letdown to get braces off and then get stuck with a bulky retainer. I have a bulky wrap around upper and lower (plus the bonded retainers) and I didn't think I could possibly get used to it but I did. Give it a bit of time and try not to fight it too much. I know..so easy to say and so hard to do! Hopefully after sleeping in it a few nights it won't seem quite so bad! Meryaten couldn't have said it better "perserverance" is the answer!

Meryaten: you continue to give me such hope knowing you are now just in the bonded retainers and your teeth behind the bonded retainers are staying put! Come May I think I will be done with my wrap arounds 24/7 and only need them at night! ::fingers crossed!
full metal braces 4/26/05~~debanded 12/13/07!
12/13/07 bonded retainers + wrap around hawley