They're coming off!

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sandista

They're coming off!

#1 Post by Sandista »

I just went in for my last adjustment on March 17th! The doctor is tweaking a few things with my bite (moving a couple teeth up & moving a couple teeth down and securing them with the torture chains) and has scheduled my braces removal for April 23rd! :D

Upon my braces removal, I will receive a bonded retainer on my front lowers. The doctor stated there is a chance they might want to settle down after recently being pulled up a bit, so since I really don't want to go through they whole braces experience again, I agreed to a bonded retainer (he expects to keep that on for about 6 months).

I will receive the Clear Essix retainers about a week after my braces removal. I was a little concerned about that, as I thought my teeth would shift. The assistant said there might be some minor shifting, but within a week, it wouldn't be anything the retainers could put back into place.

Has anyone has any experience with waiting that long for their retainers? if so can you share your experiences?

Thanks so much!
Sandista

Mmmmuuaa

#2 Post by Mmmmuuaa »

Congratulations! It's so fun to get them off and see your new smile the first time.

I got my retainer hours later, so I don't know how much they'll shift at that time, sorry.

tin_grin

#3 Post by tin_grin »

Hey Sandista, I feel your excitement! Mine are coming off April 21. Can't wait!

I'm getting a Hawley, and I think it takes a week for it to come in. I'm a bit worried that I'm going to get a space in the front like when my ortho took my power chain off a couple of months ago. Can any of you "pros" offer insight on this? :(
Braced: July 19, 2006
Debraced: April 21, 2008
Ceramic uppers & lowers

lionfish

Re: They're coming off!

#4 Post by lionfish »

Has anyone has any experience with waiting that long for their retainers? if so can you share your experiences?
Yes, I waited a week between being debraced and picking up essix retainers. Things had shifted a wee bit in that period, but soon went back to where they were with retainers.

You'll be fine.

Sandista

#5 Post by Sandista »

Thanks so much Lionfish for your help - it definitely puts my mind at ease.

Now I can completely enjoy my vacation to Belize (I am debraced on 4/23 and going to belize on 4/26) without having to be paranoid about my teeth shifting!

Tin grin, good luck with your debracing - I hope you have fantastic results - I'll think happy thoughts for you! :D

Sandista

SDFD TSchott

#6 Post by SDFD TSchott »

tin_grin wrote:Hey Sandista, I feel your excitement! Mine are coming off April 21. Can't wait!

I'm getting a Hawley, and I think it takes a week for it to come in. I'm a bit worried that I'm going to get a space in the front like when my ortho took my power chain off a couple of months ago. Can any of you "pros" offer insight on this? :(
I'm also getting Hawley retainers but my ortho has taken impressions and told me to come back on April 2nd where my retainers should be ready for me to enjoy being brace free :p

So I guess orthos all do it differently on de-bracing there patients!

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Sandista

#7 Post by Sandista »

Hey TSchott,

Good luck with your de-bracing - your big day is coming SOON! Enjoy your naked teeth! :wink:

Sandista

Marzipan

The first look about 10 days ago

#8 Post by Marzipan »

The first time I looked at my new straight teeth with no braces was WOW. The tech had taken off all the brackets (which went quite smoothly with almost zero pain) and she was doing this and that, preparing to take impressions, and finally I asked if I could have a mirror. It was like she had forgotten that I went through all this for the very purpose of straightening my teeth, and my first desire would be to have a look!

Anyway, that was fun and interesting.

They took impressions right away - two sets, one for the temporary Essix, and the other for the Hawleys that I will be getting in a few days now. I've been good about wearing the Essix thingies and they became familiar-feeling quite quickly.

Sandista

#9 Post by Sandista »

Hi Marzipan,

Did you notice a speech impediment when you first got your Essix retainers?

My De-brace day has been moved up to 4/16, but I don't get my retainers until 4/22, which is the same day I have to travel to PA for business. Not sure if I need to present anything yet. I just wan to make sure I don't sound too stupid or worse yet, spray someone while I'm talking! :roll:

Sandista