How long

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hank hill

How long

#1 Post by hank hill »

how long do retainers last? Do you just get one pair and it lasts you your whole life? or you have to get new ones every year? or after a little while you dont need retaiers anmore? im confused.

gamine

#2 Post by gamine »

I've had mine for almost 16 mos. and they are showing a significant amount of wear, on one side. At my last check (in October), she indicated that this was pretty normal, and not to worry unless I started to see vertical cracks.

I am guessing that they will replace them, when I go back, next month, as I am seeing some tiny cracks. My treatment package included replacement retainers for life (as long as it was normal wear & tear).
Christine
Metal Mouth since 06/10/04

SnowSara

#3 Post by SnowSara »

I'm still wondering this myself :wink:

All my ortho said was what meryten just posted, "as long as I don't grind my teeth they should last for a long time."

I don't think I clench my teeth anymore (did before braces), but how long is a "long time"?? Guess I have a lifetime to find out!

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

Spanner

#4 Post by Spanner »

I was wondering this too even though I'm a looooooong way off getting them.

My ortho said my retainers are included in the cost but he didn't say how many pairs and he didn't say for how long I will have to wear them.

Is it normal for them to be worn for life?

SnowSara

#5 Post by SnowSara »

Yes, I've heard all sorts of varying recommended wear times but that does seem about right, like meryten said.

I was told by my ortho to "wear it as much as possible" (at the very least nightly) for six months. (He tells his younger patients 24/7 but lets his adults kind of play it by ear.) After that I was told I should wear it to bed every night forever. My Essix are really comfortable and discreet so I don't mind wearing mine all day (not to say other types aren't just as comfy, i just don't have the experience to say either way).

Meanwhile, another woman in my office who goes to a different ortho was told that she only had to wear hers nightly for a few weeks, and then to play it by ear and wear it every so often after that. I'm not sure if it depends on the ortho, the patient, the type of retainer or what. I have a feeling it's the opinion of the ortho that comes into play for a lot of it.

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

Chris

#6 Post by Chris »

I would think replacing the essix retainer would be more frequent after major dental work because of the skin type fit, although I had to have my hawleys replaced after new crowns were made.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

retainerdesigner

#7 Post by retainerdesigner »

Heres is the scoop from an ortho lab,
Essix retainers are quoted by they company (Densply Raintree Essix) to have an average life of 18-24 months. And they are guaranteed not to bubble for one year or they will replace it. As I have never seen them "bubble" I dont know what they are talking about.

Here are some facts:
What was quoted above is for Essix ACE thermoplastics, their newest thermoplastics, and awesome in my option. they combine the best of all the thermoplastics they offer. I use these myself, it covers all the bases.
Here are the others:
Essix A+ ~ Super clear but average life is 6 months
Essix C+ ~ Perfect for bruxers (very durable) but is kinda "cloudy" inappearance
Essix Embrace ~ Used for TMJ splints - because it bonds to acrylic

Essix ACE - get it? A+C+embrace ~ combines the best of all, its rather (a couple of years) new so not all doctors and labs use it yet, and there might be reason for not using a certain type.
Also one thing to consider the word "Essix" is use like the word "Xerox" to mean a clear thermoforming plastic used for retention, but it may not be officially from "Dentsply Raintree Essix" other manufactures make just as good clear thermoforming plastics used for retention. That is why you get different life-spans from different users, not to mention how each "essix" retainer is treated by the user. (example: a bruxer vs. a non-bruxer will obviously have different essix life-spans)

Well, enough from this retainer nerd, back in my hermit hole to make more retainers
Cade :)

retainerdesigner

#8 Post by retainerdesigner »

BTW,
As for the hawley type retainers....last year, I just replaced a upper retainer for a 75 year old patient that had finally lost his retainer after 35 + years of wearing it! Now there is a goal everyone should strive for!

Cade

Spanner

#9 Post by Spanner »

WOW indeed.

My partner has dentures just on the top arch. Although he could take them out at night he prefers to sleep in them. I'm thinking that if he can wear dentures every day and night of his life for the rest of his life then I'm sure I can manage retainers for the rest of my life if it means I keep my teeth exactly as they will be the day my braces come off.