Different impressions for different types of retainer?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BallPointPen

Different impressions for different types of retainer?

#1 Post by BallPointPen »

Can you tell what kind of retainers you will be getting from the impressions? My ortho mentioned something about bonded retainers but from reading this forum most people with bonded seem to have either hawleys or essixes as well.

When I had my retainer impressions taken he only took little moulds of my incisors, not any other teeth. Would it even be possible to build any retainers other than bonded from these impressions?

Have other people had only their incisors impressioned for retainers or do they usually do the whole arch?

jennielee81

#2 Post by jennielee81 »

I had one impression each from the top and bottom arches.

From those "normal" impressions I've had essex, bonded, and hawley.

Also, I have a lower bonded without any other retention.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

retainerdesigner

#3 Post by retainerdesigner »

The small impressions you are talking about would most likely be for bonded retainers. It is rare to have a bonded on the top although I have seen it a couple of times in certain situations. A removable retainer that could be made on such a small impression would be a 3-3 clip (or also called a gemini) I can post a pic of one of these if you would like. But like you thought an impression of just the incisors, the possibilities are limited unlike full mouth impressions.

Cade

retainerdesigner

#4 Post by retainerdesigner »

The small impressions you are talking about would most likely be for bonded retainers. It is rare to have a bonded on the top although I have seen it a couple of times in certain situations. A removable retainer that could be made on such a small impression would be a 3-3 clip (or also called a gemini) I can post a pic of one of these if you would like. But like you thought an impression of just the incisors, the possibilities are limited unlike full mouth impressions.

Cade

retainerdesigner

#5 Post by retainerdesigner »

Cade

BallPointPen

#6 Post by BallPointPen »

Thanks for the replies, why is it unusual to have bonded retainers on the top?

The reason I am having a bonded on top is because of my short roots so bonding the teeth should strengthen them (I think). But why don't more people have them, I would have thought it would be more convenient for everybody to have retainers which they didn't have to remember to put in every night.

lionfish

#7 Post by lionfish »

My ortho is actually generally not a fan of bonded retainers - has had too many patients who feel they are too much hassle for flossing.
They ARE a hassle for flossing (and I have bonded both up and down). I saw my regular dentist a couple of days ago and he suggested using piksters for the bonded teeth, move them up and down the gum margin as if they were floss, said it would have the same effect as flossing - and be a lot easier. I'm now using the white one, it's a no. 2.

retainerdesigner

#8 Post by retainerdesigner »

The orthodontist I work for pretty much only recommend Bonded retainers to the adult patient, mainly because they are the only ones mature enough to take care of them.

As far as the upper bonded is concerned, one of the considerations is how you bite, or where your lower incisor contact your upper incisors. The Doctors will have to make sure they place the wire out of the way of the lower incisors. Most of the time they have to place the wire so close to the gums on the upper (to clear the lower incisors) that it would be difficult to get floss between the wire and the gums. Most doctors only trust adults with this task.
Not only cleaning but you have to take care of the wire. If you bend the wire the bonded retainer act just like braces and will move teeth. :cry:

So if you have been approved for bonded retainers considered yourself approved by the doctor ( both in bite and maturity) to take care of them. :D
And if you have hawleys it must be only your bite....er...yeah only your bite, yeah thats it! :? Just kidding.
BTW why did my last post, post like 4 times? I hope admin erases them...

Cade