Teeth shifting even with bonded wire retainer???

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

materialsgirl

Teeth shifting even with bonded wire retainer???

#1 Post by materialsgirl »

Anyone have this happen? I have had my braces off since last July. I got a bonded wire retainer on my bottom teeth, and I have an Essix retainer for the top. My top teeth are fine, but one of my bottom front teeth is starting to twist back to its old position. My dental hygienist actually noticed it at my regular cleaning yesterday. The wire is bonded only to 2 teeth (the tooth that has moved is not one of them). She suggested that I get my ortho to re-straighten the tooth and then bond the wire retainer onto ALL the teeth it goes across. My questions:

(1) Anyone else have teeth shift with a bonded retainer?
(2) Anyone else have shifting teeth corrected by their ortho? How was it corrected? I really don't want to have braces again.
(3) Anyone have a bonded wire retainer that's bonded to all the teeth? How much of a pain in the butt is this? (like for flossing - it's so easy to floss now because I only have to thread it through once)

Beckster

#2 Post by Beckster »

Hello materialsgirl,

I too had my teeth shift despite a bonded wire, that was also only bonded to 2 teeth.(I also had an essix over it at night) I am currently wearing lower braces for the third time, as a result of what happened. I am not happy about being in them again, but am determined to get it fixed this time, and make sure that whatever retention I have next time does not fail. Good luck and keep me posted on how it goes!

~Becky
"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."-Albert Camus

materialsgirl

#3 Post by materialsgirl »

Becky, it's good to know I'm not alone. I'm sorry you had to go through braces 3 times! Wow! Amazing how good our teeth's memories are, huh? ;)

katmc_tx

#4 Post by katmc_tx »

I had the same problem with my bottom teeth. I had the first four teeth bonded(no removable retainer) and had the third lower right start to shift after I had my braces removed. I called my ortho went back in and my got a hawley retainter to adjust that one tooth which took two days. Went back in after 5 days of wearing it and had the bottom six bonded. It is a pain having to floss but I use the Crest Glide floss. I would rather have the bother of flossing then having movement after braces.
Got my braces off 9/20/07 after 19 months and 3 weeks. WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!