Satisfaction after braces...

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

krisztina

#16 Post by krisztina »

To all who are disappointed...

Maybe you all should have researched you're ortho first. My Ortho is awsome, he even gives his mobile number to patients for anything that we need to talk about (emergencies) after hours. Communication between my ortho is great and all the assistants are well trained and friendly. A good orthodontist takes their time and does not rush (even when its closing hours for all us at our ortho)!! Well i'm happy with everything i've gone through, been in braces since July 19 and i am lovin my ortho. NO PAIN NO GAIN :D :D

For anyone livin on the Gold Coast in QLD Australia my Orthodontist is Medland Orthodontics... BEST... I recommend. I know many peoples who are SO happy.

Thanx... Krisz

Danny

#17 Post by Danny »

Thats great Krisztina. It's good to hear a post like that.

Glad you are happy!
BE HAPPY!

Danny

Danny

#18 Post by Danny »

Thats great Krisztina. It's good to hear a post like that.

Glad you are happy!
BE HAPPY!

Danny

Huon

#19 Post by Huon »

Good fo you, Metal Mouth Guy.
We need to know what we are trying to achieve, before committing ourselves to braces (or other medical or dental processes). Are we trying to achieve a perfect appearance or are we looking for better dental health and teeth that will last a lifetime?
Although I didn't like the look of my jumbled teeth, it was the fact that they were wearing away and that this could be corrected, giving me years of extra tooth life, that was important.
I can see a huge improvement in appearance and I'm very happy with that but most important of all, I can CLEAN my teeth, which I could never do, effectively, before bracing.
Put me down as a very satisfied customer.
Huon

Evelyn

Go for it!!!

#20 Post by Evelyn »

I've got to say that I've noticed the same thing, but keep in mind that a lot of it is the patient-a lot of my friends with just average to bad looking teeth had braces but most of them confess to not faithfully wearing their retainer and basically the attitude of when the braces come off, it's over. Don't fall into that trap, and you should be fine! Anyways, you should be able to get a general idea of what the outcome will look like because you know your teeth best, if you don't have nice looking teeth to begin with (not necessarily straight, just nicely shaped) then you can't really excpect a miracle of the orthodontist.

It seems like my teeth haven't changed one single bit in the 2 1/2 years that I've had them, but even if I came out with a crappy smile I would still do it again because I used to be soooo scared of any sort of doctor (a wierd phobia of mine) but now I'm perfectly at ease- I even had surgery three times! I've just got so much more confidence now especially in medical situations.

Besides, when I get my braces off of course I wantmy teeth to look good but I think I'll be most excited about my brace free teeth for my mouth!!! I will be able to comfortable play my clarinet again(one of my big hobbies) and just wake up in the morning without having to detach my teeth from the wire, not to mention grin at the dinner table without fear!!
My bottom line is that it's not all about the smile, think of the things that you've gained from it-maybe more self confidence because maybe you were self conscious of your braces at first, or just smiling and knowing that your teeth are at their best.

In one sentence? Given the chance, I would definately do it again.
xoxo Eve

Tim

#21 Post by Tim »

I personally like really wide smiles, I knew going into treatment that it wasn't going to be an option because by closing the spaces my overbite wasn't going to be enough to give my bite that wide look. Infact, after it was all closed up my ortho had to off set my front teeth to give them enough clearance. I'm very happy with the results, there are some teeth that I would like in a slightly different possition, but there was no way I could have know that before I had impressions made. And I have some weird genetics that caused my teeth to develope random imprefection. But I would definatly do it again.

Fizzy

#22 Post by Fizzy »

I agree that many times it is the patient's fault when his or her post-braces smile is less than perfect.

I have one friend who had braces 4-5 years ago. She never wears her retainer but her teeth are still perfect. Then there's another girl who had them 3-4 years ago and also never wears her retainer...but her teeth look awful. If I didn't already know she had braces, I never would have guessed.

Most of the kids I know (I'm a Junior in high school and a lot of my classmates have had braces) have had good results, but there are some that very obviously neglected their retainers or had poor treatment to befin with.

As for me, I'm almost done with treatment, and I have to say I'm really happy. My teeth aren't "Perfect" but they look so much better than they did before I started.
Braced - October 2003
Un-Braced - June 27, 2005! Yay!

ChrissieWhissie

#23 Post by ChrissieWhissie »

I've just had my braces taken off this morning (Wednesday) and I love the result!

I'm really, really happy with my results.

I've got a permanent retainer at the top of my teeth inserted straight after I had my braces taken off.

No complaints with the brackets coming off or anything. I just hope to god that I won't inherit any 'gaps' like some people have (I don't think I will).

I LOVE MY ORTHO!

Chrissie x

2hOtT2HaNdLe01

#24 Post by 2hOtT2HaNdLe01 »

oooooooo... YAY!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!! :pinkbraces: post pictures!!!!!! :wink:
BRACED: March 16, 2005
DEBANDED: October 3, 2006

hrbatyfan

#25 Post by hrbatyfan »

From what I understand, quite simply lots of people don't wear retainers like they should. I know this lady who got her braces off when she was a young adult and she is in her 50-60's now and she wears her retainer still every night.

Obviously, I am not saying you have to never ever part with your retainer, but some people don't take the retaining process serious enough it seems like.

officewench

#26 Post by officewench »

When I was a kid my parents couldn't afford any dental care for my sister and I. She inherited our dad's strong, medium sized straight teeth. I got my mom's weak, large, and crooked teeth.

The first thing I did when I got a job with dental insurance was book myself an appointment to have a good cleaning and three badly rotten molars removed. That was 1999. In 2000 I had my badly protruding, pointy canines removed, I know now after seeing a competent dentist that was a bad move. My new dentist is the president of the Alberta Dental Association! :D After I had those removed, I had the cavities in my front teeth filled. Yep, I had three big cavites in my top front teeth. I was 30 when I had those fixed. After living and working for 15 years with cavities in my front teeth, having braces is a snap. I had two root canals with temporary crowns done in 2001. In 2003 - new job, new insurance - I had more cavities filled and some silver fillings replaced. 2004 saw the removal of one wisdom tooth, the best cleaning I've ever had (Medina, the hygenist is a goddess. I love her) and the first consult for braces. The first ortho I saw told me right up front he was retiring but he would do the initial consult and pass me off to his very competent replacement. He also said it could take up to three years to get my teeth to an acceptable position. He asked me how committed I was and I said I was so committed that I wanted to do all the prelim stuff right then.

Six months and one periodontal exam later, I was braced.

I'm not even a month into this and I've seen so much straightening and movement that there's no way I'd go back. My front teeth are straight, most people don't know why I got braces. I got them for all the teeth you can't see when I smile. My molars slant in toward my tongue like this \ on both sides, I have half exposed wisdom teeth, gaps from extractions and two temp crowns from root canals. Before I invest in permanant crowns, bridges or anything like that I want to do what I can to make my teeth straight, healthy and easy to take care of. This is the sixth year of working to improve my teeth so if I end up with a little gap between my front teeth, well, considering where I started that's no big deal at all.

ChrissieWhissie

#27 Post by ChrissieWhissie »

I'm 100% happy with my new teeth!

Check out my website which has prior to braces and then when the braces were off (pictures taken on Friday!)

http://homepage.mac.com/chifivonne/FileSharing4.html

So, one happy customer!!!

Chrissie xxx

officewench

#28 Post by officewench »

Gorgeous teeth, Chrissie. Congratulations!

Alison

#29 Post by Alison »

:) Hi....

Im pretty happy with my teeth..tho no, they are not perfect and I was hoping for better.....but I am realistic! Ive always had quite big horsey kind of teeth but sadly crooked...now I still have quite horsey looking teeth but they are straight! I still have MY smile, but so much better :D

Reading all the different things that can be done to our teeth....in an ideal world I would have probably had to have had A LOT of dental work done to have perfect teeth

I had a top brace only....(Im wearing a retainer now) my teeth look 100% better than they were

But....I think if I had gone the whole hog I would have probably had to wear expanders, bottom as well as top braces etc....as I have an odd shaped small arch and outward leaning molars... and it would have took a great deal of time...& maybe even surgery?

but just having my top teeth done..for me..was enough! my teeth dont look perfect but they just look pretty & normal and thats more than I could ask for....

Im not a model or a hollywood star.....so I dont need or want to look perfect...I just look like me...but better! :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BRACED - 21ST JUNE 2004
BRACE REMOVED- 11TH APRIL 2005
STARTED WEARING A RETAINER - 14TH APRIL 2005
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dodger(UK)

#30 Post by Dodger(UK) »

I could have almost written that myself, Alison, cause that's exactly how I feel. :wink: