Any Regrets?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

2shy

Any Regrets?

#1 Post by 2shy »

Hi, I'm new to all of this and having discovered this site have found it enormously helpful in considering my decision to go for corrective dental work aged 43. I have seen my dentist and have appointments with three orthos for consultation. My dentist commented its a big job ( well if my teeth were good I guess I wouldn't be asking :D ) apparently my jaw is off in all directions and I have a significant overjet ( I would guess minimum 10mm) and I don't think thats an underestimation. I guess my question is to you all who have been through the process. was it worth it ? any regrets? and is there anything at this stage you would have wanted to know, ask or ensure was covered at the inital stages?

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

Yes, it was worth it. Half of my teeth didn't make contact before, now they do. It's something to be able to bite off a piece of cotton or tear sticky tape, let me tell you. I think I pretty much had covered what I wanted to know by lurking on this board for almost 12 months before committing.

ohmyjaw

#3 Post by ohmyjaw »

Yes it was definitely worth it. I felt self conscious about my teeth for so many years; it is such a huge relief to not have those worries any more.

My suggestions: make sure you pick an ortho who you're comfortable with, understand your treatment plan, and carefully weigh the pros and cons of various treatment options (if applicable). Also, make sure you have realistic expectations. Orthodontists can do some amazing things, but there are some limitations. So good communication with your ortho is really important.

With a 10mm overjet, is jaw surgery in your future?

jennielee81

#4 Post by jennielee81 »

Every minute of it and every cent I paid!!!

My pix below say it all. I should have done it years ago.

Go for it, you will not regret it for a minute!! :thumbsup:
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

momof2grlz

#5 Post by momof2grlz »

ohmyjaw wrote: With a 10mm overjet, is jaw surgery in your future?
Surgery isn't necessarily required. It all depends on how much space is available to get the arch corrected. I had a 10mm overjet, 2 premolar extractions, no surgery and the ortho was able to reduce my overjet to 3mm.

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

Caroline

#6 Post by Caroline »

Never regretted going through treatment in the least!! When all was said and done, I, like many others, asked myself why I had waited so long...
Ceramics
Top braced January 7, 2005
Bottom braced February 4, 2005
Tops off July 10, 2006!!!
Bottoms off August 15, 2006!!!

Piper Leah

A Lifelong Project - and well worth it!

#7 Post by Piper Leah »

I just had my braces removed last week and am also 43. A little late SPAM SPAM SPAMMING, but I knew with the care I give my teeth that falsies were not an option for me no matter what my age! I had some spacing issues and a slight overbite. I wore traditional braces with adjustments every six weeks. Was it all worth it? Absolutely! And, I'm glad I had them on later in life because given my defiant personality as a teen and young adult I would have had to start over or go the ultra expensive route and get lumineers or whatever new procedure is out there. I feel I made the right decision to wait until I was mature enough to stick it out and follow the doctor's directions. I am in the professional world and was amazed at how many of my colleagues that were in the late 40s and 50s even were wearing braces. I even inspired my cousin to get braces (he's in his late 30s), although he went the Damon Brace direction. I really didn't deny myself much of anything when it comes to food and eating, with the major exception of hard candy, ice, and almonds. Any dull ache or pain I had was quickly alleviated with Advil or Ibuprofen. My braces are off, but it's not over. It's a lifetime commitment, and really not so bad. After the initial intense retention period, it seems that it becomes as routine as brushing your teeth to slip on your retainer and let it work for you while you sleep. Since I'm brand new on the retention scene and have had a bit of a fitting problem, I choose to think that the nightly routine will be that easy. But, I will say, without a doubt, after the braces come off, and your teeth are gleaming, and straight and smiling is a must, it's worth it to keep up the project that you started.