Hawley Retainer - 1st week after Brace Removal - Help!

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Piper Leah

Hawley Retainer - 1st week after Brace Removal - Help!

#1 Post by Piper Leah »

Hello. I had my braces removed last Monday (4/28/08). What a feeling! Free at last! Didn't hurt a bit. The same day was fitted for a Hawley Retainer (thin wire) for upper and lower. My problem is that with the retainers in, my bottom teeth hit the upper plastic palatte of the retainer not allowing my teeth to engage in a full proper bite. It's as if I am purposefully touching my bottom and upper front teeth which causes jaw pain and stiffness. My back molars do not touch. Since this retainer is hard plastic, I don't see it "giving in" as the braces did in the beginning. I called my Ortho and received serious attitude for making the call. I am supposed to wear 24/7 for 6 months then nightly indefinitely. I couldn't bear to sleep with them last night (first night) as it was too uncomfortable. It feels too thick on the top retainer.

Anyone else have this issue? I can wear this during the day, but the pressure on my bottom teeth pressing against the upper plastic is too painful. Shouldn't the plastic part be more unobstrusive? I expected a slight speech empediment, but not this.

Thank you,
Piper Leah

Luella

#2 Post by Luella »

Piper Leah, When I had my braces off the first time, I don't remember the retainers bothering me at all- I did have trouble with 's' sounds for a while, but it didn't impede my bite or anything. How dare the ortho's office give you attitude! Call back, demand respect, and get in to see them!!! They might be able to adjust the retainer to fit more comfortably.
~ Luella ~
Oral surgery assistant, Registered Dental Assistant, OMAAP Certified

Piper Leah

#3 Post by Piper Leah »

Thank you for your reply. I called and scheduled an appointment for WED morning and hopefully they will be more amenable in person rather than they were over the phone. My reasoning is that the plastic palette should fit flush against the roof of my mouth without my bottom teeth hitting it. Turns out that I could barely stand wearing it at work today -- and I talk to many people during the course of the day!

THanks again for the feedback! What a great site!

Hustler

#4 Post by Hustler »

Hey Piper,

Could you let me know how you got on, I just got my Hawley's today and I'm in a similar situation