Questions for the big day!

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

islandbabe715

Questions for the big day!

#1 Post by islandbabe715 »

only 16 days left until I'm "officially" in this club! Yay! I do happen to have a few questions though that have been brought up in some posts but not exactly addressed to the best, so here we go:

1. How many truly had staining on the teeth after braces were removed? (white stain, yellow stains, ect)

2. I do happen to be one of the lucky ceramic wearers and have heard they were a bit painful to get off, are they truly any worse than some of the adjustment pressures to get the ligs back on?

I'm pretty sure thats all, if anyone wants to tell about there debrace day in general, I'd love to hear it!
Thanks!!!! :heart:

Mikatgeo

#2 Post by Mikatgeo »

I just had my ceramic uppers removed last week and I found it only slightly more pressure than when the ligs are put back on after an adjustment. It wasn't bad at all and I had no staining. In fact, after the polishing they looked really great.

I had meant to take some Tylenol beforehand and forgot to do it but found I didn't need it.

I only had the top wire and front brackets removed.. still have the lower and all the molar bands to finish up some stubborn issues. It's nice to be partially naked anyway. Retainer goes in this week on the upper.

islandbabe715

#3 Post by islandbabe715 »

Congrats Mikatgo on your top debrace and thanks for your reply!
Now I know the type of pressure I can at least estimate to recieve!

And thank you Meryaten for the advice for the big day!

islandbabe715

#4 Post by islandbabe715 »

Thanks for the warning about people noticing. I actually am not going to tell anyone I'm getting them off and aren't going to to tell anyone once their off either. Unfortunetly I was one of the people that disliked their braces and tried to hide them. So no worries here, I didn't want to attract any attention anyway!

Thanks again!

katmc_tx

#5 Post by katmc_tx »

The big ouch :soremouth: for me was when they were yanking off the molar bands. It felt like they were trying to take my tooth with the band. I had metal brackets and they were not bad coming off, just the slightest pinch on some and nothing on others. No stains. Good Luck and Congrads.
Got my braces off 9/20/07 after 19 months and 3 weeks. WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!

Higgy

#6 Post by Higgy »

Ok, so I guess I'll be the first, I got my braces off (a surprise event a week early when I went in to get the bonded retainer fixed).....and I DO have one tooth with the white square....unfortunately on a front tooth....that being said, my teeth had issues with decalcification prior to braces, which may have been a factor as well, and that specific tooth also had some decalcification to begin with. I wonder if my issues aren't genetic though. My father had "soft teeth", and despite adequate dental care, he ended up with dentures at age 25, my mother had dentures at about the same age, my brother also had the "soft teeth" and lost many of his teeth before he died. I do know that when I saw the oral surgeon who did my frenectomy that he said he thinks it has to do with flouride issues as a child and that for the level of decalcification that I have to be caused simply by bad hygeine would have taken YEARS of not brushing/flossing, which isn't the case. I will say that it's a bit disappointing to have those spots, especially when I brush 4 times a day (Morning, after each meal, bedtime) and floss eveyday.

Piper Leah

#7 Post by Piper Leah »

I had braces for 2.5 years, just had them removed last Monday 4/28/08. I had traditional braces and I smoke, drink red wine, love to eat curry -- basically anything that can and will stain your teeth, I've ingested. During my 2.5 year ordeal, I was overly diligent at flossing and brushing and rinsing and was very worried that the areas directly underneath the brackets would be awful. My orthodontist assured me they were surface stains and she would remove what she could. To my amazement, they were more white than what I went in with over 2 years ago, however, I do have to have some surface cleaning between the teeth -- that's my next appointment. I bought a box of professsional strength Crest White Strips and that has brightened them even more. So, bottom line, no worries on surface stains. If I can get out of this journey relatively unstained, anyone can!!!